ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application-is countersignature really necessary?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

psb

Passport application-is countersignature really necessary?

Post by psb » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Most of the applicants for first British passport now, with ILR and naturalisation would have had their ID confirmed by the Home Office, when biometric identity cards were issued to them for FLR and ILR.

Why would applications for passports require a countersignature to confirm the identity of the applicant when this was confirmed by the Home Office on at least three occasions before ie. biometrics at the embassy abroad for entry visa, biometrics of FLR(M) and biometrics for ILR.

I am sure that if the Home Office were sufficiently satisfied with the identity of applicants to issue a biometric ID, why do they insist that the applicant needs to find a professional person to countersign a passport application?

I can understand why a countersignature is required for a British born person who never held a photo identity card before or a foreigner who never held a UK issued photo identity card before.

Has the countersignature not become redundant once biometric IDs started to be issued to all foreigners? These should be able to send their biometric card with their passport application without having their photos signed by a professional.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:04 pm

There is no profitable discussion to be had here on this issue.

If you feel so strongly about the redundancy of counter-signatories, direct your complaint to the IPS.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 pm

I say why stop there?

- what's the point of sending photo? They already know how I look like from previous applications.
- what's the point of sending my Naturalisation Certificate. It was issued by the HO. IPS should be able to know I'm British.
- what's the point of detailing my name, date of birth, partner name etc in the naturalisation form. They already know it all from previous applications.
- what's the point of taking biometrics three times. One should be enough.
And so on...

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: Passport application-is countersignature really necessar

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:57 pm

psb wrote:Most of the applicants for first British passport now, with ILR and naturalisation would have had their ID confirmed by the Home Office, when biometric identity cards were issued to them for FLR and ILR.

Why would applications for passports require a countersignature to confirm the identity of the applicant when this was confirmed by the Home Office on at least three occasions before ie. biometrics at the embassy abroad for entry visa, biometrics of FLR(M) and biometrics for ILR.

I am sure that if the Home Office were sufficiently satisfied with the identity of applicants to issue a biometric ID, why do they insist that the applicant needs to find a professional person to countersign a passport application?

I can understand why a countersignature is required for a British born person who never held a photo identity card before or a foreigner who never held a UK issued photo identity card before.

Has the countersignature not become redundant once biometric IDs started to be issued to all foreigners? These should be able to send their biometric card with their passport application without having their photos signed by a professional.
I would go a step further. Why do we even need passports? UKBA has our fingerprints, so why not there is a international big computer system, and wherever we go we just swipe our fingers and everybody would know we are British citizens. :lol:

psb

Post by psb » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Sorry if I wasted time and space on this forum. It was just food for thought.:oops: