ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using 'human rights argument' for your parents?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jayia
Newly Registered

Using 'human rights argument' for your parents?

Post by Jayia » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 pm

As you all know, now it is very difficult to bring your parents to the UK even if you have UK passport.

However, I've just read this story:

"Cameron Poole, who stole £648,000 from the London Philharmonic Orchestra while serving as its finance director, has won his bid to stay in Britain after leaving prison on the grounds that deportation to Australia would infringe his human rights to family life.

Poole, who was jailed for four years in October 2010, was divorced by his wife but claimed the right to see his children. "

I was wondering if it is feasible to use the 'human rights argument' for your parents?

Your comments are appreciated.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 pm

I don't know how you exactly mean by "feasible".

But as far as article 8 which covers right to family life and right to private life is concerned, this argument could be used for absolutely anything that exists in the world.

You could argue family life for parents, grandparents, uncle, aunts, whoever you regard as family.

One could use article 8 right to private life for anything. You could even claim that you sit and watch paint dry all day, and you have absolute right to enjoy your private life by just watching paint dry.

But which arguments are judged to be tipping the balance in your favour, when making a decision in immigration matters is totally different ball game.

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

I was wondering if it is feasible to use the 'human rights argument' for your parents?
Perhaps, but the current rules for elderly dependants have been made by someone very crafty. Remember that you don't have to enjoy family life in the UK under Article 8. So if you can reasonably enjoy family life with your parents in your country of origin, then you have no claim under Article 8.

It is best to fight for a change of rules so that the benefits are shared by everyone, rather than trying to fix your specific case.

Have you written to your MP about this?