ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

*can I apply for Uk citizenship after getting permanent card

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lad2777

Post by lad2777 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 am

as a EU member I have been living in the UK for 7 years, this week I received a permanent residence card issued June 2013,

how questions is can I apply straight away for British citizenship, or I have to wait 12 months as HO website says:
You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation.

but in my case I have been here for more then 6 years and I can prove that 1 year before they started to count towards my residence card?

April 2008- April 2013 - thats what they checked 5 years for resident
April 2007 - April 2013 - thats what I can prove that 1 extra year before they counted towards residence so there is 6 years

or they want
April 2008 - April 2013 + one year counted from June 2013 when card was issued, so the first time I would apply for citizenship would be JUne 2014

please let me know as its confusing and not clear in my case

thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: *can I apply for Uk citizenship after getting permanent

Post by Amber » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 am

lad2777 wrote:*can I apply for Uk citizenship after getting permanent card

as a EU member I have been living in the UK for 7 years, this week I received a permanent residence card issued June 2013,

how questions is can I apply straight away for British citizenship, or I have to wait 12 months as HO website says:
You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation.

but in my case I have been here for more then 6 years and I can prove that 1 year before they started to count towards my residence card?

April 2008- April 2013 - thats what they checked 5 years for resident
April 2007 - April 2013 - thats what I can prove that 1 extra year before they counted towards residence so there is 6 years

or they want
April 2008 - April 2013 + one year counted from June 2013 when card was issued, so the first time I would apply for citizenship would be JUne 2014

please let me know as its confusing and not clear in my case

thanks
Are you the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen? If so you do not need to have PR for 12 months. If not,

2 choices wait 12 months after getting PR card or you can send the proof that you have exercised treaty rights for 5 years so that you had PR at least 12 months ago. Basically, the PR card just makes it easier to prove you have PR so you can send it in along with evidence that you have actually had PR for 12 or more months.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

dukkumeah
Newly Registered

Post by dukkumeah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi, I was a family member of Eea. I got pr on 28/03/13 and applied for BC on 2/05/13.
I got married to my ex wife on april 2007 and divored on dec 2012.

My wife is a A8 national who exercised T right from July 2006.
She did not apply for pr. I applied with her doc in jan 2013 and got pr on march 13.

I applied for BC on may 2013 and waiting for approval.

So I think you can now...

lad2777

Post by lad2777 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:25 pm

If I stick to version 5 years permanent residence and then I wait 12 months

does it mean they will check only last 12 months as the rest 5 years were checked to get a permanent residence card? I am sending documents for 12 months or all for 6 years and they check it again?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:55 pm

lad2777 wrote:If I stick to version 5 years permanent residence and then I wait 12 months

does it mean they will check only last 12 months as the rest 5 years were checked to get a permanent residence card? I am sending documents for 12 months or all for 6 years and they check it again?
[EDIT]
If you apply 12 months after PR, then your EEA treaty rights proof is not needed for the application and only residence requirements (for naturalisation) to cover the last 5 years are needed. This is normally proved by providing just a passport.
Last edited by Jambo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lad2777

Post by lad2777 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 pm

dont understand now

If I have a permanent residence card and will wait 12 more months and send it in a years time so there will be 6 years the,

- do I have to send all documents to cover 6 years or 12 months as 5 were already checked by issuing a residence card?

- do they check only 12 last months, since resident card was issued?

thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:45 pm

OK. I didn't understand your previous question. Just ignore my answer.

Basically this is a two stage process:

1. Proving you have PR for at least 1 year.
2. Proving you meet the other residential requirement, good character etc.

If you apply 12 months after issue date of PR card, then it is easy to prove (1). No other evidence apart from the card is required.

If you apply less than 12 months after the issue date of the PR card, then you need to prove you had PR status for at least 12 months. This is done by providing similar evidence to your EEA3 application. The fact that you have provided similar evidence already in a different application doesn't matter.

For (2) normally your passport (and the information you provide on the application form) is enough.

boloney

Post by boloney » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:47 pm

lad2777 wrote:dont understand now

If I have a permanent residence card and will wait 12 more months and send it in a years time so there will be 6 years the,

- do I have to send all documents to cover 6 years or 12 months as 5 were already checked by issuing a residence card?

- do they check only 12 last months, since resident card was issued?

thanks
you will only have to send passport, pr card and form. Other documents likep60, etc are not needed.

lad2777

Post by lad2777 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 am

I called 3 NCS's and they say if you have a PR + 12months then they have to get all supporting documents for 6 years, not only 12 months

and there is no information about 12 months document on HO website, so no idea why they accepted yours

so the option you sent, only PR and passport and no supporting documents for 5 previous years has to be wrong?

boloney

Post by boloney » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:57 am

lad2777 wrote:I called 3 NCS's and they say if you have a PR + 12months then they have to get all supporting documents for 6 years, not only 12 months

and there is no information about 12 months document on HO website, so no idea why they accepted yours

so the option you sent, only PR and passport and no supporting documents for 5 previous years has to be wrong?
it did work in my case, can't why it should't work in yours. My app was by post so can't comment on what ncs wants.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 pm

lad2777 wrote:I called 3 NCS's and they say if you have a PR + 12months then they have to get all supporting documents for 6 years, not only 12 months

You are mixing the two different categories (I admit it is confusing).

* To prove PR one needs to prove treaty rights (employment, study etc) and residence (more than 6 months a year in the UK) for 5 years.
* To be eligible for naturalisation, one needs to prove residence for 5 years (less than 450 days abroad etc) and other requirements (good character, life in the UK etc).

Proving the former is not enough to prove the latter (as the requirements are different although you need the former to be eligible for the latter).

It doesn't matter when you apply, the HO (and NCS) would always need evidence to cover the last 5 years and not the last 12 months.

If you have a PR card for more than 12 months, then the HO is not concerned about your treaty rights. Only your residence.

I suggest you call NCS tomorrow and ask - "I have ILR/PR for more than 1 year. Is there any other evidence I require apart from my passport (which covers the last 5 years) and Life in the UK test?".

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:31 pm

lad2777 wrote:how many days took them to take money off your account if u attached cheque for citizenship fee?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jack_Daniels
Newly Registered

Post by Jack_Daniels » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm

D4109125 wrote:
lad2777 wrote:how many days took them to take money off your account if u attached cheque for citizenship fee?
Mine took 6 working days from the date the application was received. If you want further details look at page 131 of the natuarisation timeline of see all my posts.