ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marriage appeal case

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tiri
Newly Registered

marriage appeal case

Post by tiri » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:35 pm

Hello everyone,

l would be very grateful if you can provide me with advice on my case, a friend introduced me to this forum which by the way is brillant.

My application to stay in the U.K as a spouse of a British Citizen was refused after my appeal to the secretary of state. I arrived in the U.K in 1994 with an entry clearance for single visit entry, and on application my stay was extended as a working Holiday maker until 1996. I then married my long term girlfriend in 1996, and applied for a stay on this basis which was refused in 1990 on the following grounds:-

l did not provide adequate documentary proof of co-habitation, and

that l would not be able to maintain myself and my wife without recourse to public funds

The above was subsequently appealed against.

As l am not allowed to work legally, my family as been providing for me financially all this years, hence the reason l cannot proof that i will not recourse to public fund. My wife however claims benefit due to her disability, and was advised to continue to do so by my lawyers due to the fact that she is a British Citizen and is entitled to.

Officers of the Home Office made a visit to our previous place of residence, and obviously did not find us there as we had moved which was made known to the Home Office by our lawyers.

The appeal case was heard in my absence in July 2004, due to the negligence of my lawyers whom l am not using at present, the lawyer dealing with my case left the firm without informing me, and when a date was given and reply to directions where required to be completed, the firm informed the home office that l had never contacted them to request for assistance in completing the form.

The appeal was again dismissed on the following grounds

l had failed to establish that at the date of the decision, myself and wife had not intended to live permanently with each other as husband and wife
and that the mariage was subsisting

and that we were able to maintain ourselves adequately without recourse to public funds, bearing in mind l am not allowed to work.

l have however appealed to the Immigration Appeal Tribunal, which is presently been handled by another lawyer, who has advised me that the chances of getting the appeal is 10%

l am so desparate and depressed, and would be grateful for any little advise that this forum can offer. so sorry for the long story :(

noah
Newly Registered

Post by noah » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:10 pm

In my own view, there's some substantial information missing here. Of course others may have a different view. Based upon what you've said here, you were refused a marriage visa which was upheld in appeal, you missed a visit audit (that's bad under the circumstances), and have now engaged a solicitor who says your chances of successful appeal are 10%.

Something's missing.

tiri
Newly Registered

Post by tiri » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:52 pm

Noal

hanks for your reply

I am sorry if there has been confusion with my post, my first request for a stay was dismissed, which l appealed against, and the appeal was heard in July this year. The audit visit as explained in my first post was after we moved addresses, the new lawyer said my 10% chances was based on my immigration history whcih l have more or less summarised.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:37 pm

Tiri

From what I can see you should submit an application to remain with your wife on Article 8 Human Rights Act but you will need to prove that all these years you have been living with your wife together.
You will also have to find a suitable solicitor (possibly not publicly funded) who has enough knowledge and expertise to deal with similar cases instead of filling you in with loads of crap. It is very hard to find such a solicitor nowadays but you will have to spend a good deal of time looking for one.
Technically, no one will be allowed to separate you from your wife if your wife does not agree to leave the country with you. Moreover, your continuous residence of 10 years should be to your advantage, as well.
Best of luck,

Sincerely,

J.A.

tiri
Newly Registered

Post by tiri » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi jeff,

I thank you for your encouragement, and advise which l need right now l definitely need a good lawyer, my family have spend so much money on crap lawyers already.

Anymore advise will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks AGAIN.