ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of Living in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

destinationUK2007
Newly Registered

Cost of Living in UK

Post by destinationUK2007 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi,

I am getting a salary offer of 37K GBP in London. I have to say yes or no to the company. I have 4 years of software expernience in Siebel and will be coming on HSMP from US.
Just wanted to know whether this is a good amount to start and is there a growth once I get some UK experience.

Also my current salary in US is $75K. The only decision for coming to UK is that at the end of 5 years I will get a PR and also its close to my home country, India and the working time is good as per my knowledge i.e. 40 hours per week.

Can anyone please help me know whether the decision is good in terms of salary growth and UK as a country as compared to US and the factors I have mentioned above.

If someone can tell me how much will I save at the end of the day after all deductions.My savings in US is around $2500 p.m.

Also, my wife will be joining me soon as I get settled and she to will be working with salary range same around 38-40K in UK.

Please reply to me asap as I have to say yes or no to the company in a weeks time.

Thanks,
Sachin

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:46 am

No one can say "Yes or No" for you, but the salary is a good starting salary: you can get paid more, but you can get paid less.

Use the following site: http://www.listentotaxman.com to work out your take home pay (It works out to £27,056.54 a year or £2,254.71 a month).

It's hard to say what you will save, you could save $2500 a month on that salary living frugally; it really depends on a lot of factors (will you share accomodation, will you live in the city or outskirts, will you use bus, train or tube etc. etc.).

As you are working in London, there will be opportunities to earn more in the future and I would be surprised if your salary doesn't increase in that company as you gain experience.

destinationUK2007
Newly Registered

Post by destinationUK2007 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:28 pm

jjustyy wrote:No one can say "Yes or No" for you, but the salary is a good starting salary: you can get paid more, but you can get paid less.

Use the following site: http://www.listentotaxman.com to work out your take home pay (It works out to £27,056.54 a year or £2,254.71 a month).

It's hard to say what you will save, you could save $2500 a month on that salary living frugally; it really depends on a lot of factors (will you share accomodation, will you live in the city or outskirts, will you use bus, train or tube etc. etc.).

As you are working in London, there will be opportunities to earn more in the future and I would be surprised if your salary doesn't increase in that company as you gain experience.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply !! I see some light of more income in future ..thats good !!
Also, I wanted to know the other factors as mentioned in my mail, as compared to US, the standard of living, work culture , working hours and the city overall.
PLease do let me know if you or someone have been to US (NY) and also UK...a better person to judge !!

Thanks again in advance !!
Regdrs,
SS

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm British, but I know one guy from India who worked in NY and now works in London. He couldn't stand NY, the working culture there - actually he couldn't stand the place at all.

He's now living in London and is a lot happier. His wife has recently joined him which has made him even happier. :)

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:58 pm

destinationUK2007,

To be honest 37K GBP in London is a good salary. But IT is not the top profession here as in India. So its ok.

But there are other factors as well :-

1. Indians like US because the houses are big and open where as London(or Uk to some extent) has smaller houses and they are bloody expensive.
2. Do you have a family, kids,etc
3. Which part of London is your company in, travelling to central london can be expensive.
4. Well there are a lot of factors that may affect your decision
5. One thing for sure, there is quality of life here and you wont miss india for sure. Indian food being the most popular here and you get all the groceries here.

Well as far as hating US is concerned. I went their (SFO) last year and I hated it. There was a guy (indian working in SF) in my flight and as soon as he landed in Frankfurt he (only HE) was amazed by the insfrastructure there. And said, "This is quite advanced." I was like, what do you think Europe is, is it bloody slums ?

Well to each his own, but i cannot stand US.

Hope this helps

neel
Newly Registered

Post by neel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi destinationUK2007,

I have been to UK several times for business purpose. I really liked the UK. Now I'm in US on business visit. I feel quality of life is better in the UK.

I have 6 yrs experience in the field of 3G Mobile communications and embedded systems. And I've stamping of both UK HSMP and US H1B. I'm confused which should I prefer now.

I feel there is some beloved in the UK.

Can somebody help me please?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi,

I think it depends...About me, i was in Uk for 2 years, then went to US (NY and Mary land)..
Now back to UK on HSMP, although i have a valid H1 and good offers from US..

So i like UK..But it is really expensive...I stay outside London, still only house costs me 1000 GBP(including bills) and rest is extra..
But i came here , so that my Wife can work..In US she cannot work on H4..
Life is more close to India..even UK is more closer to India, so you can travel to India more frequently...twice a year:)
Work wise it depeds on your compnay,project, boss etc..But generally UK/
Europe is laid back...
So i hope it helps..

neel
Newly Registered

Post by neel » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:52 am

Hi ashishashah,

I am planning to come to UK on HSMP along with my wife.

Could you please tell me:

1) how to get the house for rent, so that as soon as I reach UK I can stay in the house instead of wasting money in hotels.

2) What all documents need to be submitted to get house for rent?

3) How much advance need to paid?

4) Can we get houses for short term also, for eg. 3-4 months?

Thanks

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:15 am

Hi ,

[quote]how to get the house for rent, so that as soon as I reach UK I can stay in the house instead of wasting money in hotels.[/quote]
[Buddy, getting a house on Rent is a pain...1st thing..If possible dont come with your wife..Come alone..
U will get Shared accomdation...Look in "gumtree.com"...But u wont know who is staying in your next room..So i am saying, dont bring your wife as yet..
About renting, u can only go through agents who ask for Credit chek, 2 months deposit and at least 6 months contract..Also their fee is 300 Pounds..so initially, u wont be able to go for rent (unless u r ready to spend 2000 GBP upfront)

2) What all documents need to be submitted to get house for rent?
For ent , u need bank account..Even for shared same thing...

3) How much advance need to paid?
1.5 to 2 months Deposit(1000), 1 month rent(600), agents fees(300)

4) Can we get houses for short term also, for eg. 3-4 months?
Nope..If u r going for rent..Landlord/agents want 6 months/1 year contract...

I would advice you to look for ads. in Gumtree.com..I have spent 2 monthe here, but still struggling to find a house on rent..My wife is back in India, so i can afford to stay in a shared accom..

Hope this helps

Thanks

neel
Newly Registered

Post by neel » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks a lot ashishashah!! It is indeed very helpful information.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 pm

nileshratan wrote: Well as far as hating US is concerned. I went their (SFO) last year and I hated it.
Funny you should mention that. I've got a fellow immigrant who has been working and living in London for the last 8 years (settled). Last December got an offer from a large well known software company in San Francisco. His first text to me right after landing there: "I don't like this city, the road is full of holes". He is now back in London :)
Perry Ismangil