ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Unmarried Partner maintenance requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

namin
Newly Registered

ILR Unmarried Partner maintenance requirements

Post by namin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi all

I am currently in the UK with leave to remain as an unmarried partner of a UK national. I received this leave to remain in August 2011 so my 2 years is very nearly up and I am starting to get the same nerves and stress back again.. so I would really appreciate some clarification!

I have read over the FM 1.7 Financial requirements document and the biggest change seems to be the new threshold of £18600 annual income. Back in 2011, if I remember correctly, the maintenance requirement was based on a formula of:
(income - accommodation) > income support
or (income minus accommodation) greater than income support

I'm kind of confused as to which requirement applies to me, as I applied for my initial leave to remain before the new rules came in to force.

Also, Are you still allowed to combine the income of both the applicant and the sponsor? My partner is self employed and also recently started up a limited company of which he is the director and sole share holder. I am in salaried employment.

If my income and my partner's income from his self employment are enough to cover the maintenance requirements, do I need to supply documents for my partner's earnings from the limited company as well? Obviously his tax self assessment will show both incomes, but as the company is quite new, I'm afraid he won't have all the documents required to support it..

If anyone could clarify the above points, I would really appreciate it! And apologies if these questions have been answered before.. I did do a search but couldn't find any answers, so please do point me the right direction!

Thank you so much!

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 am

Think I just found answer regarding new threshold vs old adequate maintenance calculation... I am still under the old requirements I believe, can anyone confirm this? Thank you!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:06 am

Old rules, you should include both incomes. Though, I wouldn't be overly fussed about the self employed evidence if you're working and have 3 months payslips with corresponding bank statements.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks!

My salaried income doesn't cover the required amount because we share our flat with another couple but only our names are on the lease, so on paper our rent comes to quite a hefty amount. So I will need to combine my earnings with my boyfriend's.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the old maintenance evidence requirements?
There seems to be items on the new requirements for self employment that I never submitted for my application for leave to remain..

Can anyone also confirm whether I need to supply documents to support both sources of my partner's income, or is it sufficient to just evidence one source if it is enough to cover the required amount?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 pm

How do you know it's not enough? What is your Net income per month and your rent per month? Do you have any children?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm

My annual net income is £22000.
my rent is around 2600 per month
Current income suport for couples over 18 is £112.55
So:

22000 ÷ 52 = 423.07
2600 x 12 ÷ 52 = 600

Only my income on its own is less than our rent...
But with my partner's income from self employment which is at least £25000 (he is doing his tax return)

£25000 ÷ 12 = 480
480 + 423 = 903
903 - 600 = 303
303 > 112.55

So should be fine, yes?

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Sorry, should be £25000 ÷ 52 = 480

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm

That rent is high, extortionate, relatively speaking in comparison with income, yes you should be fine. Just make sure you have the bank statements showing the income from both parties coming in and any HMRC documents regarding self employed income,

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, tell me about it! Though, it is a massive warehouse in central London which also doubles as an office, and the cost is split fourways... that's how I try to justify it anyway!

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Another query if anyone could help...

I've been looking over my partner's accounts and since he started his limited company, he has moved most of his income to be received through the company. So for the first 7 months of the last financial year, he has lots of transactions/incomings/outgoings, but for the rest of the year there is not a lot in comparison, but average monthly earnings averaging around £2800.

I was only planning to provide evidence of his earnings from his self employment, as it seemed sufficient, but now I am worried the ECO might think he is losing business and will not make enough money!

Also to start up the company, my partner loaned the company £16000, which the company has been paying back to him by paying some of his sole trader work expenses... so in order to get a full picture of his financial standing, do you think I need to submit evidence for the limited company as well?

To make things even more of a balls ache, his financial year for the limited company is not ending till the end of this month and his return is not due till April 2014, while my visa is due to expire in mid August/next month. So I would rather not rush to get his tax return done in 2 weeks, when it is not due for another 9 months!

So I guess to put simply, do you think it would be sufficient for me to supply the following documents to evidence my partner's earnings:

For Sole Trader (this is basically what I submitted for my leave to remain application 2 years ago):
Accounts outlining profits/losses, expenses, payments etc
12 months bank statements showing payments from his tennants, expenses and lease payments going out.
letter from HMRC saying he is self employed
completed Self Assessment Tax Return for 2012-2013
Letter from HMRC showing he is paying his taxes and NI contributions
Contracts with his tenants/clients showing where his income is coming from

For Limited Company:
Statutory accounts from 31/07/2012
Certificate of Incorporation from Companies House
Registration letter from HMRC
12 months bank statements
Invoices sent to clients
Letter showing payment of business tax

Is this enough? Do I really need to send a completed Company Tax Return as well?

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Anyone? Help!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:47 pm

All that evidence should more than suffice.

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Amber!

So I don't need to send a company tax return for my partner's limited company?

Jesseing
Newly Registered

Post by Jesseing » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 am

May anybody inform me exactly where I can obtain the aged maintenance proof demands? There appears to always be products around the fresh specifications regarding home employment which i in no way posted for my request with regard to depart to keep.. Could any person in addition verify no matter whether I need to present documents to guide equally sources of my own lover's earnings, or is that adequate to just facts 1 origin if it's sufficient to pay the necessary sum?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am

namin wrote:Thanks Amber!

So I don't need to send a company tax return for my partner's limited company?
The evidence required for the old rules is not as stringent as that for the news rules.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am

Jesseing wrote:May anybody inform me exactly where I can obtain the aged maintenance proof demands? There appears to always be products around the fresh specifications regarding home employment which i in no way posted for my request with regard to depart to keep.. Could any person in addition verify no matter whether I need to present documents to guide equally sources of my own lover's earnings, or is that adequate to just facts 1 origin if it's sufficient to pay the necessary sum?
What do you mean, the specified evidence under the new rules? If so see Annex FM (click)