ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed for 'Unmarried Partner Dependant' of Tier 4

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teemotheundying
Newly Registered

Advice needed for 'Unmarried Partner Dependant' of Tier 4

Post by teemotheundying » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi guys,

I know the most difficult part for an unmarried partner dependant visa to success is to prove our relationship is more than 2 years.

Our issue here is we started our relationship two months later after been flat mates of each other,
so we had separate tenancy agreement for our own rooms on our own names, as we did not know each other before.

We have been living in this flat for 2 years and we are going to move into our own rented flat in next month with only our names on the tenancy agreement.
I am going to apply my visa in next year so our relationship will be far more than 2 years by that time.

But my concern is that as we had separate tenancy agreement and separate room in the flat for the past 2 years,
will the visa case worker define our relationship for the past 2 years as mere flat mates but not partners?

So I have had to solutions in mind:

1. Just DO NOT use our tenancy agreement of the current flat we are living in, as we had other evidence like bank statements etc in this address.
ONLY use the tenancy agreement of the flat we are about to move in that has only our names on it.

2. Ask our current landlord to sign a group tenancy agreement with both our names on( he is living in the same flat with us and he knows our relationship),
but the RISK is that will the case worker actually contact our landlord to confirm our contract and to confirm whether we were already partners before we move in.

I seriously need advice here

Thanks in advance

edit: My girlfriend is not British and holding a Tier 4 Visa
Last edited by teemotheundying on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

What is the nationality of your sponsor.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

teemotheundying
Newly Registered

Post by teemotheundying » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Obie wrote:What is the nationality of your sponsor.
She is not British and holding a Tier 4 visa.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Well, you have to have been living together for 2 years.

I hope the Tier 4 Migrant is about to apply or extend her visa.

Try not to engage in any activity that may be construed as deceptive.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

teemotheundying
Newly Registered

Post by teemotheundying » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Obie wrote:Well, you have to have been living together for 2 years.

I hope the Tier 4 Migrant is about to apply or extend her visa.

Try not to engage in any activity that may be construed as deceptive.
Actually we have already been living together for 2 years in current flat, and we will be living in our own rented flat for another half year before my application. That's 2 and half years overall.

My concern is we both have our own room in current flat, will the case worker consider us as flat mates rather than partners for this reason?

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Remember that the rule is two years living together in a relationship akin to marriage, not just a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. If you have been living in a shared flat with separate bedrooms you are probably on shaky ground. Are there other flatmates living in the current property or is it just the two of you?

Your option 2 sounds like it could confuse matters as the date on the new tenancy agreement would not match the duration of your tenancy in the property. If your landlord is familiar with your relationship and is prepared to vouch for you, an alternative may be to include a letter from them with your application confirming the duration of your tenancy in their property and that they consider you to be living in a relationship akin to marriage.

Option 1 may be possible, as I don't think it's mandatory to provide a tenancy agreement, just six items of correspondence, but I think you would be taking a risk. It will depend on how strong the other evidence you provide is - for example, if you can show joint financial commitments.

Have you considered getting married?