ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

usualspellings
Newly Registered

Can I apply for British Citizenship

Post by usualspellings » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Having not found a clear answer to my question through UKBA sites, I seek your help.

Can I apply for British Citizenship ?

The following is my status:

·Indian National

·Student Visa July 2006 – January 2008 (02 years)

·FTS Jan2008 – Januay 2010 (02 years)

·Tier 1 General Sept 2009 – Sept 2012 (03 Years)

·Residence Card (Wife EEA National) November 2012 – Present

My wife is a Dutch National permanently residing in the UK for over 6 years.

Also, do I need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, or can I just immediately apply for Naturalisation?

Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 pm

You need to have ILR/PR status to naturalise.

When did you get married? Why didn't you continue with the Tier-1(G) visa to obtain ILR after 5 years?

usualspellings
Newly Registered

Post by usualspellings » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Dear Jambo,

Thank you for your response.

I got married in June 2012, and getting the residence card din't cost me anything. Tier1 would have put me in same situation for atleast a £1000.

Are my 5 yrs before the residence card not valid for ILR? if not then how long I may have to wait.

Thanks again.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Under EEA regulations, your time for PR started when you became a family member of EEA national i.e. your wedding day. So your 5 years clock for PR will finish in June 2017 so you can naturalise in June 2018. You can't use your time before marriage under the Tier-1 visa for PR under the EEA regulations. You might be able to apply in July 2016 for ILR based on 10 years of lawful residence (long residence).