ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa for italy

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mads

Schengen Visa for italy

Post by mads » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Good afternoon
I wonder if someone can help me with my query.
I am on a south african passport (with a uk settlement visa) living with my husband who is british in the united kingdom . I have managed to get an appointment at the italian embassy in manchester for the 28th March 2007(after 12 minutes @ £1.00 a minute :evil: - disgusting) . I would like to go away the weekend of the 13th april with some of the girls I work with.
I am concerned because the embassy have replied that I need to prove my flight and accomodation, if I book the flight and the accomodation, and my visa does not come through in time I will have lost the monies paid.

NOW:

According to what I have read, spouse's do not pay for the schengen visa but I have just got a reply from the embassy to say that it will cost me £40.50?

What is the turnaround time after application?

thanks in advance

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 am

If you are travelling alone, then they can ask for all this information when you apply for a visa.

If you are married to an EU citizen with whom you will be travelling while using the visa, then the Italians are required to issue the visa at no cost and "on the basis of an accelerated procedure". (Details are in Directive 2004/38/EC http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/ci ... ent_en.htm)

You have to make sure you take your husband's passport and your marriage certificate with you (any he may be required to attend as well).

If you are travelling with your husband, then you do not need to prove your flight and accommodation, though that does likely not stop them from asking you anyways. An explicit statement that this is not required is contained in the following from the European Parliament: http://tinyurl.com/ypwer5

mads

Post by mads » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 am

thank you for taking the time to reply. I will make sure I have all (and more) the paperwork they require when I go.
Regards
mads

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Are you planning to travel with your husband to Italy?

mads

Post by mads » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi there
No, I am going away with some of the girls I work with, hubby is staying at home to look after the baby :lol:
Do you foresee a problem with him not going with me? It will be my first schengen visa.
thank you
mads

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:49 pm

Your visa is only required to be free if you are to be travelling with him. If you are not travelling with him, they can charge you for the visa and require hotel and reservation information.

mads

Post by mads » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Hiya
I was wondering if it would be quicker for me to apply at the french embassy for a multi-entry visa and go over for a weekend to france with my hubby before I go to Italy.
It seems I can apply by post and that the turnaround time (if all goes well) is only two weeks (according to their website). Of course this plan would be good if they give me the multi-entry, if I get single entry :(

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:46 pm

I think France requires an interview.

You could apply with Austria and then fly to Salzburg or Wien for the weekend. Very nice country! And I think they do not require an interview.

mads

Post by mads » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:59 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have manged to get the following information of the french embassy website. I live in the yorkshire area so a bit hard to travel to the embassy.

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/art ... rticle=326

Regards
mads

stedman

Post by stedman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:01 pm

I'd recommend a French visa. I've travelled to several western European countries (including Italy) since the whole Schengen thing started and I've always got my visa from the French embassy.

The main advantages of the French over other embasssies are that you get the visa the same day, you can apply online at no cost, there is only one step involved (turn up, pick up visa later), once you have all the correct documents a visa is almost guaranteed, and they give long, multiple entry visas (my last one was for one year).

Disadvantages - you need to book travel and accomodation, thery are fussy about travel insurance, and if you have no money in your account they may refuse to grant a visa.

mads

Post by mads » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if anyone have applied via post as a eu spouse and if so, what paperwork was sent and how successful was the application? I have tried to ask a few agencies but they have all replied that I need to apply in person even though the french embassy website offers a postal service for my area.
I have tried unsuccessfully to contact the french embassy and have also tried to email them. Any other contact no. would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
mads

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:49 am

It is a very simple application form to fill out. As a spouse of EU citizen you do not need to fill any question marked with a star (*).

Then just send it in with photos, your spouses passport, your marriage certificate, and a preaddressed special delivery return envelope. Photocopy EVERYTHING before you send it, including the delivery envelopes.

Send it by special delivery to the embassy visa section.

It takes a day to get there. If they have a problem or need info, you will hear back in a few days.

If you come from Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan/etc... it may take up to two weeks. Other countries should be a few days.

Unless you have something weird in your application, there should be no problem.

It is intended to be a very simple process!

mads

Post by mads » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:23 pm

thank you for your reply. I have posted my application off today to the french embassy. Fingers crossed!!!!!
mads :D

jules17
Newly Registered

Re: Schengen Visa for italy

Post by jules17 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi mads just saw your post I saw your post and was wondering if you could help me out
I have also booked a skiing holiday also for 13th april 2007 but my girlfriend needs a visa. She has been delayed a week in russia so will miss her 22nd march 09:30 appontment and the next is 19th apriul :-(
I know this is a bit unusual would you be willing to exchange dates so you have 22nd march appointment and i have 28th appointment?

mads wrote:Good afternoon
I wonder if someone can help me with my query.
I am on a south african passport (with a uk settlement visa) living with my husband who is british in the united kingdom . I have managed to get an appointment at the italian embassy in manchester for the 28th March 2007(after 12 minutes @ ?1.00 a minute :evil: - disgusting) . I would like to go away the weekend of the 13th april with some of the girls I work with.
I am concerned because the embassy have replied that I need to prove my flight and accomodation, if I book the flight and the accomodation, and my visa does not come through in time I will have lost the monies paid.

NOW:

According to what I have read, spouse's do not pay for the schengen visa but I have just got a reply from the embassy to say that it will cost me ?40.50?

What is the turnaround time after application?

thanks in advance

mads

Post by mads » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:09 am

Thank you so much for all your help. I have received my visa from the french embassy, valid 2 months only, but it is a good start!!!!

After my initial error, the visa only took 3 days including postage.... Sent it special delivery. I managed to apply by post (time quoted 2 weeks) as I live outside the encachment area and did not have to attend in person (as required for a spouse of EU national).

Now I can go on my Italian trip and getting a trip to france before the time thrown in as a bonus!!!

One very very happy bunny....
mads :wink:

PS JULES17. Find out if you can swop, if yes, she can have my letter. PM me to discuss further.

clairey

Post by clairey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get a Schengen visa for my husband so we can go away in the summer. The French embassy hotline currently says they have no appointments and do not know when they will have any more; the Spanish embassy say the earliest appointment is 68 days away, and the Portuguese embassy appear to have shut their visa section. As we live in London, postal application is not an option. HELP! I know it's coming up for peak application time, but this is just crazy. I need to have a summer holiday! Roll on December when my husband can apply for British citizenship!!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:00 am

I would strongly suggest you go to Austria. It is a lovely country, you can get inexpensive Ryanair flights to Salzberg (and other places), and the embassy in London is small efficient. I think you can even do postal applications.

Avoid going to countries that add unneeded hassle to your holiday planning!

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC:
If you are travelling with your husband, then you do not need to prove your flight and accommodation, though that does likely not stop them from asking you anyways. An explicit statement that this is not required is contained in the following from the European Parliament: http://tinyurl.com/ypwer5
Is this really true? When my husband and I applied to go to Germany together (me=Irish, him=Indonesian with perm residency in IRE), we were required to submit proof of hotel accommodation & flights as well as proof of funds (bank statements).

We now wish to go to France (together) and have been asked for the same information. Both procedures state that if any changes are made to the flights/accommodation/dates after the visa is granted, that the visa will be considered null and void!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:34 am

scrudu wrote:Is this really true?
Yes!

As spouse of an EU national, you have a right of free movement as long as you travel with your spouse. For travel to other EU countries for under three months, you only have to show
(1) they are an EU national (proof: their passport or national ID card)
(2) your relationship with the EU national (proof: marriage certificate if you are married and more complicated stuff if you are not)

In Directive 2004/38/EC (http://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/)
See "Article 5 - Right of entry"
See "Article 6 - Right of residence for up to three months"
scrudu wrote:When my husband and I applied to go to Germany together (me=Irish, him=Indonesian with perm residency in IRE), we were required to submit proof of hotel accommodation & flights as well as proof of funds (bank statements).
Was this a long time ago? They will sometimes ask, but you can say no.

Their web site is very confused (and wrong). You will note that the PDF files for "normal" schengen visa and schengen visa for family member of EU citizen are pretty much copy and pastes of each other, including visa fees in each and references to EU family members in the "normal" schengen PDF.
scrudu wrote:We now wish to go to France (together) and have been asked for the same information. Both procedures state that if any changes are made to the flights/accommodation/dates after the visa is granted, that the visa will be considered null and void!
The French embassy in London does not require that. http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/art ... rticle=352
The French embassy in Dublin web site does not seem to have any information specifically for family of EU citizens. All they have is the general information, much of which does NOT apply to family members of EU citizens.

Also note that questions on the Schengen form marked with (*) do not need to be answered (and should not be answered). They include your employment information and date of arrival and departure.
The questions marked with * do not have to be answered by family members of EU or EEA citizens (spouse, child or dependent ascendant). Family members of EU or EEA citizens have to present documents to prove this relationship.
You are not required to have a bank account or a positive amount of money in it.

You are not required to have a job.

You do not need to have booked flight tickets or an address in France.

Has somebody at the embassy actually asked for this information, or did you just get the information from their web site?

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:04 am

We applied for a visa for Germany in Nov 2006 for travel in Dec 2006. The information was on their website, but was also confirmed by the Embassy when I telephoned. Details at http://www.dublin.diplo.de/Vertretung/d ... =Daten.pdf
  • Documents required
    1) App Form & Photos
    2) Passport with Re-entry Visa
    3) Irish GNIB Card
    4) Marriage Certificate
    5) Spouses Passport or Birth Certificate
    6) Proof of Current Address in Ireland
    7) Return Tickets for Applicant & Spouse (confirmed receipt required for pickup of visa)
    8) Informal Letter of Invitation (signature certified by Authorities)
    or
    9) Proof of Accommodation Booking (confirmed receipt required for pickup of visa)
When we applied for the visa, we asked for a multiple entry visa as we wished to make a 2nd trip to a different EU country a week or two after the 1st trip. This request was denied and he was issued with a Single Entry visa valid only for the dates included of travel illustrated in the flight tickets. When I queried this, they said we should have submitted proof of our other travel arrangements (flights, accommodation, purpose etc.) with our original application if we had wished a multiple entry visa.

Also on presenting himself to the Embassy to submit the application, he was grilled about the nature of his visit and asked to sign an additional document saying that he did not wish to reside and would not remain in Germany after the period of the visa expired (4 days).

On checking their website today I noticed an additional notice on this form
"If your Garda Card is a "4EUFAM" you do not need a visa to visit Germany. You should have your Garda Card, Marriage Certificate and your EU Spouses Passport when travelling on your own".
This is a very interesting addition. Stamp 4EUFAM is only given to spouses of EU citizens who are exercising their Treaty rights. Spouses of Irish citizens are given a STAMP4. I rang the German Embasy to confirm this, and she stated that strictly only holders of Stamp 4EUFAM were exempt from visa applications. When I explained that this discriminated against spouses of Irish citizens, she said that this was the correct implementation of the Schengen Regulations. I find this strange, as spouses of UK citizens who live here would also be issued with Stamp 4EUFAM, so although they are not members of the Schengen Agreement, they are given the same rights. She also explained that as my husband was a holder of a Stamp 4 instead of a Stamp 4EUFAM, he would have to submit all the same document he submitted in November (as listed above). Weird.

As for the French Embassy, I haven't spoken to them yet, I have just gotten the info from their website. http://www.ambafrance.ie/article.php3?id_article=506
  • Documents required
    1) App Form & Photos
    2) Passport with Re-entry Visa
    3) Irish GNIB Card
    4) Marriage Certificate
    5) Proof of Medical Insurance (min cover of €30,000, EU1 not acceptable)
    6) Proof of Current Address in Ireland
    7) Return Tickets for Applicant & Spouse (confirmed receipt required for pickup of visa)
    8) Letter of Guarantee (signature certified by Authorities)
    or
    9) Proof of Accommodation Booking (confirmed receipt required for pickup of visa)
    10) Evidence of Financial Means (3 months of Banks statements)
    11) Proof of Occupation (proof required depends on employment status)
Perhaps they just haven't updated their websites to include information for spouses of EU Citizens?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:44 am

I would encourage you to contact the EU’s free citizen signpost service (http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/) for a second opinion, but I think the Germany embassy in Dublin is way out of line. They certainly don’t ask for all that in London, and frankly they have no right to ask for it.

The Signpost opinion will also allow you to deal with any French requests in context.

When (approximately) are you planning to go to France?

When you are back from France and that visa is expired, I would encourage you to apply for another German visa, submitting only the two passports, the marriage certificate and the photos. With the EU citizens signpost opinion to support you, you can then politely say “it is not required by EU lawâ€

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks Directive/2004/38/EC

I've sent a query regarding the German Embassy to http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/ as well as submitting a request to the Irish Solvit Center. I'll update here with any information returned.

We plan to travel to France somewhere between Jun-Sept. We have yet to confirm flights. Perhaps we can get a multiple entry visa from France (I've read other places on this forum that it's easier to get this from the French authorities?) and then we wouldn't have to apply to Germany again. But it's a good suggestion for our next application there.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:35 pm

More Info:

I contacted Signpost who responded with the following information:
This indeed would seem to be a strange anomaly, namely that the non-EU spouse of an EU national living in Ireland would have fewer obligations with regard to a visa application than a non-EU spouse of an Irish citizen living in Ireland.

The basic principle is that the right of entry for a non-EU national who is the spouse of a EU citizen into the territory of a Member State is based on the family relationship alone. Therefore, one would have thought that the proper supporting documents i.e documents that establish the identity and family link, would be sufficient (passports and marriage certificate for example).

It might be advisable to write an official letter to the German Embassy in Dublin seeking justification or an explanation for the anomaly:
The details of the German Embassy in Dublin (which I believe you have) are: xxx Address xxx

Furthermore, it might also be worthwhile bringing this issue to the attention of the Irish Department of Foreign affairs seeking an explanation as I can imagine that such a situation would be of interest to the Department of Foreign Affairs: xxx Address xxx
I emailed a number of EU embassies to ask the requirements for non-EEA with Stamp 4 Perm Residency travelling with Irish spouse and received the following replies:
From Dutch Embassy
If your husband has a Stamp 4 Fam GNIB card (it has to have the "Fam" part on it), he should in principle, according to EU regulation, be able to travel without a visa. However in practice this does not always seem to work, as the airlines in general still require to see a visa to take someone on board, even though immigration does accept the GNIB EU Fam card.
From Swedish Embassy
According to regulations set by the Migration Board in Sweden your husband still needs a visa in order to visit Sweden for the purpose of tourism, despite the fact that he holds an Irish D-Spouse Visa.

Your husband needs to apply in person at the Embassy. He needs to bring both your passports, the marriage certificate and you normally have to proof that you are travelling together (in the form of an airline booking with both names on it). Please note that it can take up to 10 working days to process the application.
From German Embassy
If your Garda Card is a “4EUFamâ€

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:40 am

They just make it up as they go along.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

virtual-writer

Post by virtual-writer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:23 pm

It seems as though none of the Consulates know/apply the new Directive. I've talked to the Royal Netherlands Embassy in London today, she didn't know about it and denied it.

Isn't it so, that when you apply for a visa, you are obliged to bring all proofs that they ask for, even if it is more than normally required by spouses of EEA nationals?