ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SOC Codes - Am I considered as a new entrant or experienced?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

williamlcc
Newly Registered

SOC Codes - Am I considered as a new entrant or experienced?

Post by williamlcc » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi all,

I have been looking up my soc code to ascertain the appropriate salary for my Tier 2 (General) application. I need help to determine if I will be considered as a new entrant or experienced.

Just a very brief history about myself,
In 2009 I started working under Tier 1 Post study work visa straight out from university.

In 2011 applied for Tier 2 (General) under the same company. Tier 2 approved and but was made redundant beginning of 2012 and my Tier 2 visa has been removed.

Right after my wife graduated from uni and applied for her Tier 1 Post study work visa in March 2012 so naturally I applied as her dependant and found new employment about a month later and been working there till now. (Just over a year now)

So right now I think I would be best classified as a Tier 1 Post Study Work Dependant. Which brings me back to my question, in total I have about 4 years of working experience in the same field which I would think would qualify me as experienced. However I will be making the application switching from a Tier 1 Post Study Work Dependant which would mean I will be considered as a new entrant?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thank you,
William

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:40 pm

New Entrant definition:
(d) Where both "new entrant" and "experienced worker" rates are stated in Tables 1 to 5, the "new entrant" rate will only apply if the applicant:

(i) is applying as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant and scores points from the Post-Study Work provisions of Appendix A,

(ii) is applying as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant and scores points from the Resident Labour Market Test provisions of Appendix A, on the basis that his Sponsor has carried out a university milkround,

(iii) is applying as a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Migrant in the Graduate Trainee sub-category, or

(iv) was under the age of 26 on the date the application was made,

and is not applying for a grant of leave that would extend his total stay in Tier 2 and/or as a Work Permit Holder beyond 3 years and 1 month.

Copied from: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixj/

If you're not already aware, you can't switch from your current visa to Tier 2 - you'll need to return home in order to apply and your employer needs to advertise your job (and if they find someone else they can't sponsor you).

williamlcc
Newly Registered

Post by williamlcc » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi Jeeves,

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware that I needed to apply from outside the UK. As I did not have to do that when I applied for my Tier 2 visa the first time. Has the rules changed since then?

I'm assuming that
(i) is applying as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant and scores points from the Post-Study Work provisions of Appendix A,
refers to my current situation and that my application will be treated as a new entrant rather than experienced even though I have about 4 years of experience, and more than 1 year experience within the company itself?

Also i thought that as long as I worked within the company more than 6 months that my employer would be exempted from advertising my job role?

Please advise.

Many thanks,
William

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:51 am

You are mixing up immigration categories.

You are a PBS Dependant at present, not a Tier 1 migrant, and what Jeeves said is correct.