ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application and Indian passport surrender within India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amit13
Newly Registered

OCI application and Indian passport surrender within India

Post by amit13 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Dear Mandhan,
I will be travelling to India for a few months in August. I will just have enough time to apply for my British passport here in UK before I travel.

I am aware that one can travel on an Indian passport for a period up to 90 days from the day the foreign citizenship is acquired. Hence I can enter India as a British national on Indian passport.

So here is my precise question:
If one travels to India immediately after getting the British passport (taking advantage of 3 months grace period to travel on Indian passport) and uses his Indian passport to enter, can he surrender his Indian passport and apply for OCI in India as long as its all done within 3 months?

I guess part of the question also is whether 90 days grace period is allowed only for travel or also for stay in India.

I am sure that OCI can be applied at one of the FRRO offices in India. However not sure if one can also surrender the passport in India, hence the above questions. One obvious answer will be to surrender my passport here in London and then get a visa to travel to India. However I an really pressed for time and would barely have any time left to surrender and apply for the visa after I receives my British passport

Thanks
amit.balaji13@gmail.com

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 am

before I answer your questions may i ask when did you receive your naturalisation certificate and how long are you planning to stay in india?

amit13
Newly Registered

Post by amit13 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 pm

I will b getting in August end but my precise question remains same as posted earlier

"If one travels to India immediately after getting the British passport (taking advantage of 3 months grace period to travel on Indian passport) and uses his Indian passport to enter, can he surrender his Indian passport and apply for OCI in India as long as its all done within 3 months?

I guess part of the question also is whether 90 days grace period is allowed only for travel or also for stay in India.

I am sure that OCI can be applied at one of the FRRO offices in India. However not sure if one can also surrender the passport in India, hence the above questions. One obvious answer will be to surrender my passport here in London and then get a visa to travel to India. However I an really pressed for time and would barely have any time left to surrender and apply for the visa after I receives my British passport "

BTW I intend to live for an year or so

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm

well, there is no precise answer to your precise questions.

theoretically yes, you can but no widely published document or guideline on citizenship renunciation process in India is available. Officers at FRRO do apply their discretion / rules and rely on official circulars. It entirely depends on the FRRO and officer you are dealing with. I know people who managed to get it as well as others who were not allowed.

So it's best you directly enquire with your regional FRRO in India. Experience from one region to other will vary.

amit13
Newly Registered

Post by amit13 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Thank you ban.s

hemant_lakhani

Re: OCI application and Indian passport surrender within India

Post by hemant_lakhani » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi Amit, I have exactly same questions, I hope you know it now and have experienced, can you please suggest? Thanks

hemant_lakhani

Post by hemant_lakhani » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi Amit, I have got UK passport, also sent ILR BRP to Home office.
will there be problem while exiting UK or entering India if I can travel to India using Indian passport in grace period and then travel back using UK passport ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm

hemant_lakhani wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm
Hi Amit, I have exactly same questions, I hope you know it now and have experienced, can you please suggest? Thanks
Kind refrain from digging up topics that are more than 4 years old. Start your own topic with your question.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.