ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GP can't counter sign the passport application of 5Yr Child!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tina_Eapen

GP can't counter sign the passport application of 5Yr Child!

Post by Tina_Eapen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi,

Today I had an appointment for Fast Track Passport Service for my naturalised son's first passport. I used my GP to countersign the passport. They didn't accept the application form telling that my GP has written 'professionally' in the field asking how he knows me though he knows me & kid for 5 years as GP. The person accepting the application form told GPs are not allowed to countersign; only people knows personally from the accepted list of professions can counter-sign. This rule change seems to have happened last year. After that Passport Services is no more accepting GP counter signed applications any more, unless GP filled form saying knowing as friend or colleague i.e. knowing personally . She also gave me a paper saying reason of rejection to complain if I want to do so!

She also told me that any person who has a normal degree can counter-sign the passport application and my friend or colleague who is just a software engineer working in IT field can sign the application form. Is this really true?

Any one got here got their Passport application accepted recently after counter signed by a GP? His teacher told she can't counter sign as he is known to her for less than year only. Also school said even if the teacher knows kids for 3 years its up to teacher if he really want to sign or not.

Any one else faced these sort of issues? Is this a problem with Fast Track services only? Now I have no option to get a passport other than waiting for next 3 years and mercy of his teacher!.

Another thing is, if somebody has to write the complete name of their degree, there isn't enough space against that question.

Thanks,

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 pm

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:09 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Priya_Rai

Post by Priya_Rai » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am

I faced the same problem last year re my daughter's application, and recently another friend of mine. I challenged them to show me the rules and asked to see the senior manager, but they wouldn't budge. They actually called in the security as they felt I was bring argumentative. However, I kept pushing and they allowed me to get someone else to sign the form and bring back later in the day. I got the form signed by a friend who is a simple graduate and it worked fine. But it's truly frustrating that they misconstrue the meaning of knowing personally (which I believe means knowing in person I.e. Not indirectly as opposed to their interpretation - knowing someone in personal capacity).

Andy021114
Newly Registered

Re: GP can't counter sign the passport application of 5Yr Ch

Post by Andy021114 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:39 pm

I was given the same misinformation by the passport office several times during phone conversations earlier this year.

I then approached my MP over this & he confirmed that they do still accept GP's as countersignatories even if it is as a "patient" relationship. After all, the wrong people seem to have no problem getting them in this country so WHY make it more difficult for the indigenous British people?

Apparently, GP's were removed from the official list so as to ease pressure on GP services, by the last Labour government. Don't forget that this list only lists some of those professions which are acceptable, there is plenty of flexibility, though some of the PP staff are clearly giving the wrong information over the phone.

Check this response (scroll down) from the PP office which states that "if a doctor patient relationship is specified it may be necessary to write to the doctor asking them to confirm the identity of the applicant. As this process must be undertaken in writing, by post, it can take a number of days to complete." Which means there MIGHT be a delay in processing, that's all, BUT there wasn't any delay in my case as I got it 10 days after they received my application.

Some GP's may still refuse due to having to give their PP number or because they're too busy or just plain awkward.

Scroll down to "counter signing passports: https://www.wessexlmcs.com/email1250

Hope this helps!