ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Medical Degree From Philippines and NARIC

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maminr
Newly Registered

Medical Degree From Philippines and NARIC

Post by maminr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 am

Hi all. I have a medical degree from the Philippines,where education system is based after USA. The medical degree is called Doctor of Medicine (MD) and is 4-year duration, BUT after finishing a BSc degree as a prerequisite.

One of my firend, also a medical graduate from the philippines, had his HSMP rejected on the basis that the Home Office referred his MD degree and a letter of English proficiency from his medical school in Philippines to NARIC. NARIC's response was that his degree is NOT equivalent to UK Bacheolar because it is 4 year only. My question is should it not be considered equal when he has done BSc as a pre-requisite to MD? And when he has passed PLAB exam of GMC and is fully registered with GMC in UK? The purpose of PLAB is to equalise medical degrees from abroad and to issue licence to practice medcine in UK?

Now I am planning to apply for HSMP but I am afraid that it will be rejected. Another friend of mine who also had Philippine MD was accepted for HSMP but he also had MRCP, is MRCP is equal to MSc?

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:18 am

Dont assume anything.

Apply for NARIC and they will tell you what your degree means. That would be final and reliable information.

urizax
Newly Registered

Re: Medical Degree From Philippines and NARIC

Post by urizax » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 am

maminr wrote:Hi all. I have a medical degree from the Philippines,where education system is based after USA. The medical degree is called Doctor of Medicine (MD) and is 4-year duration, BUT after finishing a BSc degree as a prerequisite.

One of my firend, also a medical graduate from the philippines, had his HSMP rejected on the basis that the Home Office referred his MD degree and a letter of English proficiency from his medical school in Philippines to NARIC. NARIC's response was that his degree is NOT equivalent to UK Bacheolar because it is 4 year only. My question is should it not be considered equal when he has done BSc as a pre-requisite to MD? And when he has passed PLAB exam of GMC and is fully registered with GMC in UK? The purpose of PLAB is to equalise medical degrees from abroad and to issue licence to practice medcine in UK?

Now I am planning to apply for HSMP but I am afraid that it will be rejected. Another friend of mine who also had Philippine MD was accepted for HSMP but he also had MRCP, is MRCP is equal to MSc?
I am an American and I was thinking to go to the Philippines to get a degree in nursing and medical technology. If I get a degree there will I be able to work here in the USA? If not then what extra things will I have to do to be able to work? Is it a good idea to do that?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:35 pm

I fully agree with this
webhunter wrote:Dont assume anything.

Apply for NARIC and they will tell you what your degree means. That would be final and reliable information.
Pantaiema