ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need Help in pregant wife immigrating

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alf1977
Newly Registered

Need Help in pregant wife immigrating

Post by alf1977 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:48 am

Hi All,
I have recently got HSMP and planning to come and start contracting from Mid March in the UK.The contracting market looks very good for my profile(oracle Applications 11i).I get lots of queries but i guess i need to be in the Uk first in order to attened interviews and secure a contract. I need your opions on the following

1) Iam planning to search for a month in contracting in and around london and after getting my contract plan to bring my wife who is 6 months pregant.
is it a good idea to have the child birth in the UK or in India?
2) if the delivery is in India are there any health restrictions reg the mother and infant travelling to the UK after the delivery?
Thanks
aj

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Need Help in pregant wife immigrating

Post by olisun » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:29 pm

alf1977 wrote:Hi All,
1) Iam planning to search for a month in contracting in and around london and after getting my contract plan to bring my wife who is 6 months pregant.
If you wife is 6 months pregnant already and by the time you land ur first contract she will be in her later stages in her pregnancy and I believe

1) The airline(s) might restrict her from flying
2) it's an unnecessary risk to the mother and child (Also if it's your first trip to the UK)

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:44 pm

>>is it a good idea to have the child birth in the UK or in India?

India.

If you've booked into a good hospital in India it is the far superior choice. A doctor I know was killed in the UK by incompetent maternity staff. And it's getting worse with fewer and fewer midwives, with hospitals recommending that women have births at home etc. In childbirth emergencies a few seconds between delivery table and operating theatre make the difference between life and death - but it's amazing how medical shortages influence "best practice" and official recommendations. It's now "official" that having a baby at home is "as safe as having it in a hospital".

What's worse is that despite some great staff most maternity departments stink. Your wife won't get her own room automatically. If you pay for one she'll be appalled at the number of people - from cleaners to trainee nurses - who just keep barging in and out with no respect for her privacy. Even into her en-suite, if she has one! She'll get smelly, tasteless food. And usually get it cold. And, God forbid, she has trouble breastfeeding ... the midwife mafia won't give him an ounce of formula milk for the starving baby. It's policy in our local hospital - no formula milk. Maybe it's the cost. (Seriously! Some hospitals ask nurses to bring their own pens - it's THAT petty!)

Please go for the India option.

PB

Post by PB » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:29 pm

with due respect, I don't think what OL7MAX has stated is completely true.. each place has their advantages and disadvantages. After we had our baby here, the support provided by the nurses, midwives and later Health visitors was very valuable.

Of course your wife might not be able to travel in the later stages of pregnancy.

Make your decision based on what suits you.

Regards,
Preeti

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:13 pm

alf1977 wrote: 1) Iam planning to search for a month in contracting in and around london and after getting my contract plan to bring my wife who is 6 months pregant.
In case you're not aware, if you are on HSMP then the child (if born in the UK) will not automatically be a British citizen at birth. You will only be able to register the child as British once you get ILR.

If child is born in India, the child will only be eligible for citizenship when you naturalise (ie, later than ILR).

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:19 pm

I don't think what OL7MAX has stated is completely true
OK, I'd be delighted if you pointed out what exactly in my last post is not true.
After we had our baby here, the support provided by the nurses, midwives and later Health visitors was very valuable.
Yes, they do interfere no end. Every new parent is a potential idiot and needs to be protected from themselves. The busybody health visitors will weigh your baby, and advise on health matters, yes, but they also go back to the office and fill in forms with their opinion on the quality of your home, your suitability as parents, details about your relationship with your wife (or their opinions about it), and a host of other rubbish.

Why do you think they put the new mum through those questionnaires (psychological testing)? To score you as a father/dad! Why do you think they want to know everything from whether the mum has a full time job ... to what contraception you're planning on using? (I promise you that it is standard for them to grill you on the latter). Within six weeks of giving birth it will be expected of your wife that he has resumed her "wifely role". In fact she has to try getting intimate by then and report back to say whether it hurt!

If you're the client they typically expect to deal with (16 yrs, illiterate, smoker and habitual drinker) then these state agents may serve a useful purpose in life. Otherwise, pack their sorry Nazi asses off your property. I do. It's not out of concern for anyone knowing my private business but because I don't trust spies.

Think you're rid of them after a year or two? Nope! When your kid starts school they'll want to inspect him, measure him, question him, and statistically compare that with the detailed questionnaires they expect you to fill (including your height, your wife's height, what food you eat, and how many bedrooms your house has.... I have a copy of the form and you won't believe what they want to know!). Then they compare it with the snooping they did when they were allowed access to your house. Your son is 0.2 mm less than what we expect him to be at this age. Are you a good dad? The computer says No.

Do you have any idea what happens when they (or the computer) decides you're a bad parent? They can take your kid away. Think it won't happen to you? Last year 5,000 kids were taken away from their parents wrongly. Some of them were placed with adoptive parents and can therefore never be returned to their biological ones. Do you know what happened to 600 of the rest of the kids? They got lost. Yes, social services doesn't know where they are. They could be living rough or rotting in someone's fridge! (All data in this para from The Daily Telegraph over the last three months - search their site if you have the time. And the 5,000 excludes the MSBP cases)

Just because an individual seems nice and helpful is no reason to assume that their work is ultimately in your interest.

alf1977
Newly Registered

Post by alf1977 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:38 am

JAJ wrote:
alf1977 wrote: 1) Iam planning to search for a month in contracting in and around london and after getting my contract plan to bring my wife who is 6 months pregant.
In case you're not aware, if you are on HSMP then the child (if born in the UK) will not automatically be a British citizen at birth. You will only be able to register the child as British once you get ILR.

If child is born in India, the child will only be eligible for citizenship when you naturalise (ie, later than ILR).
Hi JAJ,
I appreciate your point.But iam really not so much concerned about either me or my child being "British".My post was just to know the pros and cons of having the delivery in Britian/India in terms of Child/Mother care and other related medical benefits.
Many thanks
Alfred