ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling India after oath Ceremony before British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ratnakarnaik
Newly Registered

Post by ratnakarnaik » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am

I had my oath ceremony two days back and planning to visit india next week. I thought after getting british passport, I should surrender my indian passport.

Please let me know anyone from the forum visited India after ceremony and before british passport.

Please help me as I have my travel arrangement next week.

Priya_Rai

Post by Priya_Rai » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 pm

You will be fine as you can use your Indian passport for 3 months after acquiring foreign citizenship without incurring any penalty from the Indian authorities. Carry you natiralisation certificate with you as you might need it for entry back in the UK.

ratnakarnaik
Newly Registered

Post by ratnakarnaik » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.

i request some one used Indian passport after oath ceremony to reply for my mail which will give me some confidence.
Thanks in advance.

As mentioned, I have received my Citizenship Certificate and not received my passport and I did not applied for the British Passport. I am thinking to apply for British Passport after returning from the india.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 pm

ratnakarnaik wrote: i request some one used Indian passport after oath ceremony to reply for my mail which will give me some confidence.
The rule is very clear and many have done in the past. Not everyone is in this forum to post their experience.
Nameless, faceless people can write anything in an online forum - so be confident and trust the official rules.

The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties. The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale for the violation of Passport Rules, depending on number of trips made on Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality (with a three month grace period from the date of acquiring foreign nationality i.e. the date of Naturalisation certificate), renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring of foreign nationality. The date on the Naturalisation Certificate will be treated as date of acquiring foreign nationality and hence, it is mandatory for the applicants to produce his / her Naturalisation Certificate for obtaining Surrender Certificate.

ratnakarnaik
Newly Registered

Post by ratnakarnaik » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for the reply. As I have not yet received my British passport, is there any problem to entery back to UK as my ILR is invalid and having only British Citizenship Certificate.

Thanks in advance.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 am

JShah27
Newly Registered

Post by JShah27 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Need a big help.
My Indian passport is expired and applied for british citizen, received ceremony invitation letter. The question is ''Can I renew my Indian passport after or before taking oath even though British citizen application has been approved. Need to travel to India in oct. but as heard about delays in passport services I really don't want to waste my holidays.
Please help guys as am really confused.

secret.simon

Re: Travelling India after oath Ceremony before British Pass

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:21 pm

See response by ban.s in your original thread.

Duplicate threads are deprecated.