ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new rumour for 'life in the uk' test?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nonothing

new rumour for 'life in the uk' test?

Post by nonothing » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:49 pm

someone discovered a notice at the twickenham test centre on 01/03, saying the test certificates issued before 01/04 can be only used for naturalisation application, ILR applicants have to take the test after 01/04. when asked by some test participants, the test centre stuff said they got the information through email from the HO, after they received a large volume of enquiries.

i would think it's another error by one of our brainless HO workers who happenned to answer the enquiry email from the test centre. but nowadays the HO is so unpredictable and it seems anything could happen as long as it's bad for the immigrants.

mna8

Post by mna8 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:04 pm

HI,

I send a mail to HO and ask them about passing the Life in the UK test before 01/04/07, they respond:
"You are only required to pass the test once before you apply for ILR."

Thanks
mna

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 pm

another brand new rumour, between 01/04 and 30/06, you can choose to sit either the old (current) version or the new version test as a transition arrangement from the HO.

Rambo
Newly Registered

Post by Rambo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:55 am

nonothing wrote:another brand new rumour, between 01/04 and 30/06, you can choose to sit either the old (current) version or the new version test as a transition arrangement from the HO.
This is what the test centre in Croydon told me as well.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:50 pm

"someone discovered a notice at the twickenham test centre on 01/03, saying the test certificates issued before 01/04 can be only used for naturalisation application, ILR applicants have to take the test after 01/04. when asked by some test participants, the test centre stuff said they got the information through email from the HO, after they received a large volume of enquiries. "

you mean that the pass certificate issued before 01/04 is only valid for applications made before 01/04 and hence if one needs to apply after 01/04 one needs to sit for a new test?

what is the difference in the test formats?

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Interesting rumours... I was originally waiting for the 2nd edition book to come out so I can see the difference, but they delayed the publication until late March.

As I will be applying ILR in May, I guess I'll not take any risks and just do the new format so there is no question about it. (Well, at least until they change the rules again)
Perry Ismangil

V4VENDETTA
Newly Registered

Post by V4VENDETTA » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:57 pm

Theres no need to fear, you may write either the old or the new test and still be legible for a valid ILR application.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... eqanda.doc

The rules state that all ILR applicants on or AFTER 2nd of April 2007 must either take a ESOL test or Life in the UK test.

It also states that there will be a new book for the test from "early" 2007 and anyone taking the test on or after 2nd April 2007 will be tested on contents of the NEW book. To date the new book has not been released. Its apparently being published on the 20th of March.

I think the confusion stems from the date, 2nd of April, not only do applicants on or after this date need to take a Life in the UK test for ILR applications, its also the date when anyone taking the test needs to study the 2nd edition of this book (which still needs to be released) to be fully prepared for the test. The old test only covered certain chapters in the book, 2-4, while the new test will cover more chapters of the 2nd edition book.

It does not state anway, that anyone applying for ILR on or after the 2nd of April needs to take the test based soley on the new book, or should I say the NEW TEST!

Of course they don't want to display this openly as they would rather you spend more money buying the new book rather then borrowing it from friends who own a copy of the older version. Also for anyone not 100% sure who already passed the old test, I'm sure the HO knows if your gonna be spending £700-£950 on ILR applications you would rather be safe then sorry and spend another £34 and take the NEW TEST.

I have also called to veryify this infomation today, about the tests, not my opinions on the matter.

Immigration and Nationality Enquiries Bureau on (0870 606 7766) - WAS TOLD THAT YOU ONLY NEED TO TAKE THE TEST ONCE, PEOPLE WHO HAVE PASSED THE OLD TEST CAN STILL MAKE VALID APPLICATIONS FOR ILR ON OR AFTER APRIL 2ND, JUST TO BE SURE I WAS GIVEN THE LIFE IN THE UK TEST HELPLINE (08000 154245), A GENTLEMAN CONFIRMED THIS AND STATED THEY HAD BEEN INAUNDATED WITH CALLS REGARDING THE MATTER! IF YOU PASS THE OLD TEST YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE THE NEW TEST. BASICALLY IF YOUR TAKING THE TEST ON OR AFTER THE 2ND OF APRIL JUST STUDY FROM THE NEW BOOK!

The HO can't honestly expect people to learn and take a test based on a new book when the book hasn't been released yet with only a few weeks to go!

So 3 things are happening on the 2nd of April 2007, last year our big day was the 3rd of April:
1. All aplicants need to take either an ESOL or Life in the UK test.
2. All new Life in the UK tests will be based on info in the new 2nd edition book, of the same name!
3. And thirdly we'll be getting charged £700 & £950 for ILR applcations rather then £350 & £500.

I'M SURE WE ALL WISH MAY CAME AFTER MARCH!

christina
Newly Registered

edit

Post by christina » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:38 am

edit