ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

To separate or not to separate???

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Newly Registered

To separate or not to separate???

Post by 333 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:36 pm

Hi there

I'm trying to obtain confirmation that separating from my wife will not jeopradize my application for ILR. I have 3 months to go before I can apply and we are still living together, however, unless things miraculously improve, I fear we're heading for divorce. My wife is Irish, I'm non-EEA and we've had our residence permits for 5 years in August.

What I can't see on form EEA4 is any specific space to explain a separation, dates separated etc so I'm not too sure how I would approach this in my application, or would I be better off just biting the bullet and staying put until my application has been processed?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to give!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:03 am

There is no requirement that you have to be living together with your EEA family member at the end of the 5 year residence card for getting your Permanent Residence. Infact its not even necessary to be still married after 3 years of marriage as you can still retain your right of residence as seen in section 5.2 of these instructions

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary

So, as long as you are a worker, self-employed or a self-sufficient person, you should be able to dodge the bullet...even though which form you will have to use if you were to have the retained right of residence is a totally different issue.