ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to HK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lzylqy2000
Newly Registered

Moving to HK

Post by lzylqy2000 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 am

Quick question on naturalisation

I will be eligble to apply for naturalisation soon (12-month ILR + 6 year in the UK). I am currently working for the London headquarters of an international company and will soon move to Hong Kong to work for the company's HK office. I do not know exactly when I will return to the UK but my intention is that in the long run I will be back to the UK to live and work. I own a property in London.

I have been asked to go to HK to start the job there 2 months beore my date of application. I plan to come back to submit application and go back to HK again. Once the application is approved, I will come back to do the ceremony and passport interview etc. I have not spent more than 30 days outside the country in the last 12-month so I won't break the 90-day rule even if I go to HK 2 months before my application and come back. I hold an Indian passport and got an HK work visa on my passport.

Has anybody seen any similar experience?

In form AN, I am asked in which country I intend to have my main home if I am natuarlised and if this country is outside the UK and I intend to enter into or continue employment with a company or association established in the UK, I should include a letter of explanation.

There are two options for me to answer this question. Option A is to say UK is the country in which I intend to have my main home. In the long run, this is true and I will keep my flat in London. Option B is to say HK is the country in which I intend to have my main home and provide a letter of explanation saying that I will continue to work for my UK company's HK branch.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

Thank you.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am

I think you should say UK as you main home, as for HongKong you do not hold a permanent residency, its just a work visa. Similar to existing British Citizens living outside UK for work purpose.

lzylqy2000
Newly Registered

Post by lzylqy2000 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks. Anybody has any other thoughts?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:35 am

The UK is not interested in granting citizenship to people who don't intend to make the UK their main home after becoming citizens (even if you provide a letter of explanation).