ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

national insurance

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raoms
Member of Standing

national insurance

Post by raoms » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:37 pm

Can a HSMP person use the national health insurance ? Will it not be the case that he is using the state funds ? Can anybody throw some light on this. How the HSMP persons tackle with the health issues in UK, do they go fo some private health insurance ?

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:26 pm

Yes you can since you pay for health insurance+pension (NI contibution) directly from your salary/income. As a result you will be eligible for treatment for any illness etc. except dental treatment which is partly covered-50% of cost I think. These are not state funds since you pay for them to begin with. It is upto to you take additional private health insurance.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:34 pm

rao

I don't know much details about HSMP formalities - so please ignore my post if it is irrelavent.

Normally what used to happen for WP holders is, when you first time arrive in the UK, after your immigration clearance you will be subjected to a medical examination report check which you had at your country of orgin. At this point, they will issue a letter, which will help you to secure a GP registration in your local town.

This was the practice followed 4 years back, so I don't know whether it has changed or different for HSMP visa holders.

afzalasm

Post by afzalasm » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:07 am

Any person in UK over a work visa (Work permit or HSMP or Working Holiday maker or Student (20 hrs per week) can apply for National Insurance and you get salary after deducting the NI contribution + Income Tax. And anyone who contribute in NI is entitled to get benefits of National Health Service (NHS) for himself and his family and also free education for your children under 16.

NI contribution is not something state funds but your own contribution.

Initially, when you land in UK, you can obtain a temporary NI Number which is something like TN + your date of birth + X etc and this can be obtained by Inland Revenue Office near to your place. You are also required to registered with nearest General Practioners (GPs) Doctors in order to avail the free medical facility. You need to submit copy of your passport + HSMP or WP letter + employment certificate. I don't know exactly about what will happen if you dont get job in first 3 months and still looking for the medical support.
Regards,
Afzal