ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorced and Lost Documents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shareefco
Newly Registered

Divorced and Lost Documents

Post by shareefco » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi I wonder if some one can please advise me here:

I came in UK in 2008 on HSMP; got married with British citizen same year but this was religious marriage. Had an English wedding in 2009 and transferred my visa from work permit to Spouse.

I got my ILR in Dec 2011.

Unfortunately we are going through a very bad divorce through family court.

My wife have had hidden my paper work and stuff related to me. paper work i.e UKBA reference number (When received the ILR); certificate for Life in UK pass exam.

On a side note, she has also been sending a copy of my passport to few other people for God know what reason???

My queries: Can I apply for Naturalization process whilst the divorce is in procedure; I haven't yet received the divorce letters. But will be receiving very soon. However this will/can take 4 to six months.

Shall I apply on the basis of spouse or non spouse?

What Can I do regarding the UKBA reference number and life in the UK test. (No unfortunately I don't even have a copy, its in a external device and she had hidden that as well).

PS: Still living in the same house but will be leaving by Sept..

Any advise going forward from here would be really helpful.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:44 pm

A long as you are not divorced, you are still married and can apply as a spouse of BC (i.e. 3 years of residence).

You don't need the HO reference number or the LIUK test certificate (if you already passed it for ILR). You do need your passports to cover the 3 years so I hope you still got that. You will also need your marriage certificate and proof of your spouse British citizenship such as her passport (probably no chance getting that) or her UK birth certificate (you can order a duplicate from GRO).

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:55 pm

I know someone who was in a similar situation. She took advise from citizen advise bureau and got some solicitors letter stating what is going on and she was granted naturalisation. This was 3 years back.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 pm

when did you arrive in 2008? If you have completed or about to complete 5 years then probably you don't need to involve your spouse and apply for citizenship on your own.

shareefco
Newly Registered

Action Plan

Post by shareefco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 am

ban.s wrote:when did you arrive in 2008? If you have completed or about to complete 5 years then probably you don't need to involve your spouse and apply for citizenship on your own.
Thanks for the response guys!

I came in UK March 2008.

So If I don't involve spouse; how would I apply?

Do I still need to re-take the LIUK exam?

in the form, it is asking home office ref number and ref number for LIUK what shall I do about them?

Please advise.

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 am

So you can apply on your own merit (5 years of residence).

For HO reference, just leave it blank.
For LIUK, just tick the first option (I met the requirement for settlement). Leave the certificate number blank.

shareefco
Newly Registered

advise

Post by shareefco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 am

Jambo wrote:So you can apply on your own merit (5 years of residence).

For HO reference, just leave it blank.
For LIUK, just tick the first option (I met the requirement for settlement). Leave the certificate number blank.
Thanks Jambo!

Bit of relief now.

Would you also please advise what to say when ask why divorced; as divorced hasn't happened yet?

Also can I confirm is this the correct form: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_an.pdf

in question 1.15 should I say legally separated [because we not divorced yet]

Finally there is been a court order, for neither my or my partner can remove our child from this country, through family court.

There is no police complain or any crime. So I don't need to worry about filling any info in section 3? except saying no to all of them as I am good boy :-).

Finally Thanks for the help, you guys are star....

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: advise

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:59 am

shareefco wrote: Would you also please advise what to say when ask why divorced; as divorced hasn't happened yet?

Also can I confirm is this the correct form: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_an.pdf

in question 1.15 should I say legally separated [because we not divorced yet]
Have you filled in a separation petition to the court so be legally separated? If yes, then you are legally separated. If not, until divorced, you are still married. You don't need to explain why you divorces as you haven't divorced yet.
Finally there is been a court order, for neither my or my partner can remove our child from this country, through family court.

There is no police complain or any crime. So I don't need to worry about filling any info in section 3? except saying no to all of them as I am good boy :-).
there is no need to declare custody issues in the form.

shareefco
Newly Registered

Re: advise

Post by shareefco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks jambo,

Really appreciate your help and advise.

I will come back if there is any other concern arrives.

Regards

shareefco
Newly Registered

Post by shareefco » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Again Guys!

I have few more queries and wondering if some one could advise please?

on Guide AN; Page 13; it says "* If you used one of these documents when you took the Knowledge of Life in the UK test; you will be expected to use it again by enclosing with you naturalisation application."

So I dont have the LIUK certificate; shall enclose the letter stating the reason I have lost it or shall I be honest and say my partner have hid it?

or do nothing?

Also I will be applying on the basis of residence; do I need to submit my P60? or passport would be enough?

or a letter from employer stating I have been working with them since last 4 years? but don't have the record of 5ht year(very first year except addresses)

Finally as per my understanding; I am only submitting

1) my passport
2) letter from Employer (or salary slips)
3) proof of fee payments

Any thing else?

Please advise.

Thanks
Shareef

skyiswide

Re: Divorced and Lost Documents

Post by skyiswide » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm

shareefco wrote:Hi I wonder if some one can please advise me here:

I came in UK in 2008 on HSMP; got married with British citizen same year but this was religious marriage. Had an English wedding in 2009 and transferred my visa from work permit to Spouse.

My wife have had hidden my paper work and stuff related to me. paper work i.e UKBA reference number (When received the ILR); certificate for Life in UK pass exam.

On a side note, she has also been sending a copy of my passport to few other people for God know what reason???

My queries: Can I apply for Naturalization process whilst the divorce is in procedure; I haven't yet received the divorce letters. But will be receiving very soon. However this will/can take 4 to six months.

What Can I do regarding the UKBA reference number and life in the UK test. (No unfortunately I don't even have a copy, its in a external device and she had hidden that as well).

Divorce and kids related things has nothing to do with citizenship. If you are divorced in that case 5 yrs residency otherwise 3 years residency.

And I am sorry to hear your story but best solutions is apply fpr SAR file ....and ask home office to send your all data held by them. So then you will get your life in the uk test certificate number and also ho reference number. And you can apply for sar from any address.but it takes 40 days to get sar. So your naturalization application will delay as you have to wait for sar file. And other option is just leave those box blank and applied via post. As if you apply via ncs they will probably ask for life in the uk test certificate copy. And in a cover letter simply explain that there is high risk that documents can be kept by your wife and I am sure caseworker will understand your concern so they will send documents to the address you want your documents back. But only thing is it might delay ypur approval. I will advise you raise your concerns with your solicitor.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:54 am

As John has already advised...just tick the box for meeting the Life in the UK test. You don't need to provide the certificate if it was submitted with your ILR application.

fqvision

Post by fqvision » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

#############

what happened with your application Please?

##########################
shareefco wrote:Hi I wonder if some one can please advise me here:

infinity2009
Newly Registered

Re: Lost Documents

Post by infinity2009 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Hello
I need some help and advice ASAP. I have send my application to Home Office in 10 January 1015. I have submitted all documents.
27 February I received my documents, but not compleated the Life in UK test was missing . Also they are asking me to send them again original Life in Uk. I have 2 weeks to submit again the documents. What should I do.I didn't use NCS, now they accusing me of not sending the document. I have use Life in Uk test also when I applied for ILR in Uk. Please I need help ASAP

fqvision

Re: Lost Documents

Post by fqvision » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 pm

infinity2009 wrote:Hello
I need some help and advice ASAP. I have send my application to Home Office in 10 January 1015. I have submitted all documents.
27 February I received my documents, but not compleated the Life in UK test was missing . Also they are asking me to send them again original Life in Uk. I have 2 weeks to submit again the documents. What should I do.I didn't use NCS, now they accusing me of not sending the document. I have use Life in Uk test also when I applied for ILR in Uk. Please I need help ASAP

If you know your Exam number that enough, no need letter, if you using NCS, request them to ring home office and ask for your exam number, or you can apply for Subject to Access as well

agtire
Newly Registered

hellp!!! Life in Uk test COPY

Post by agtire » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:02 pm

In 23.08.2014 I send my aplication form for British citizenship. Yesterday they send me a letter that I need to send orginal documents of English language and life in UK. I will send them my English language document but they already have my Orginal Pass Notification Letter Life in the UK which I send with my application form. I have only copy of my Pass Notification Letter Life in UK becouse I copy all documents which I send to them with my application.
I don't know if I will send them his copy will be ok or I need to do another test to have original document???
I try to call HO but no luck.

Aggie

fqvision

Re: hellp!!! Life in Uk test COPY

Post by fqvision » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 am

agtire wrote:In 23.08.2014 I send my aplication form for British citizenship. Yesterday they send me a letter that I need to send orginal documents of English language and life in UK. I will send them my English language document but they already have my Orginal Pass Notification Letter Life in the UK which I send with my application form. I have only copy of my Pass Notification Letter Life in UK becouse I copy all documents which I send to them with my application.
I don't know if I will send them his copy will be ok or I need to do another test to have original document???

Aggie

Hi Aggie,

send them photo copy and also cover letter explaining why you sending photo copy, I lost my all documents i did't set any copy of my Life in the uk exam, i send them just exam pass number. still waiting for application decision but no letter from home office yet.

agtire
Newly Registered

Post by agtire » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:10 pm

fqvision wrote:
agtire wrote:In 23.08.2014 I send my aplication form for British citizenship. Yesterday they send me a letter that I need to send orginal documents of English language and life in UK. I will send them my English language document but they already have my Orginal Pass Notification Letter Life in the UK which I send with my application form. I have only copy of my Pass Notification Letter Life in UK becouse I copy all documents which I send to them with my application.

Aggie

Hi Aggie,

send them photo copy and also cover letter explaining why you sending photo copy, I lost my all documents i did't set any copy of my Life in the uk exam, i send them just exam pass number. still waiting for application decision but no letter from home office yet.

Hi fqvision ,

Thanks for your replay . I'll send them letter and Copy of mu Life in UK . And I will wait. I will let you know what they will decision.:)

fqvision

Post by fqvision » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:13 am

agtire wrote:
fqvision wrote:

Aggie

Hi Aggie,

Hi fqvision ,

Thanks for your replay . I'll send them letter and Copy of mu Life in UK . And I will wait. I will let you know what they will decision.:)

Don't stress on one page, I lost all my educational and immigration documents, i explain them and sent all photo copies and i received my approval letter on 03-03-2015

agtire
Newly Registered

Post by agtire » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:47 pm

hi I just received a letter that my application has been successful and I need to wait for letter about a citizenship ceremony :)

natalisain

Post by natalisain » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi

I have a similar situation where I have received the ILR in march but HO did not return my original LIUK test but returned the photocopy.
I contacted HO and they said they can not even find my original document in their file.

Can you please suggest if it is ok to provide the photocopy at the time of applying for naturalization or will I have to take the exam again?

Thanks
natalie