ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want ILR - Set (o) or Set (m)?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dcb1982
Newly Registered

Want ILR - Set (o) or Set (m)?

Post by Dcb1982 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 am

Hi,

I've posted a few times, I am here on a 5 year sponsored visa (it runs out March 14th 2014).

Since I have been in the UK I have met and got engaged to a British Citizen, we are getting married at the end of this year.

I would like to apply for ILR as even though I am happy in my current employment and plan to stay there for the next few years my fiancée is worried in case I am made redundant, if that happened I would have to leave the UK as my visa is only valid if I am in my current job. If I had ILR I would be free to stay in the uk and seek other employment should this ever happen.

My questions are:

1. Do both set (m) and set (o) result in ILR?
2. What should I do apply for set (m) now or wait until my 5 years are up and apply for set (o)?
3. If I am granted ILR then we plan to remain in the UK and apply for citizenship once I am able. Can I do this from having ILR obtained from either set (m) or set (o)?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Cheers

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 am

If you qualify for set(o) in march, then i will recomend that u should wait and stay on this visa.
If it is march 2014 that u run out of ur current visa then u might be better off changing ur visa to ur wife and then go on to apply for ILR.
However, if u change to ur wife visa, then u will have to wait for 5 years from that time which will also involve 2 extensions before applying ILR. However, u will also have chance to work part time/ change jobs/etc,

U dont have to worry about being made redundant, as if that ever happens and u are still on company visa, u can switch to ur wife visa then as u will be given 2 months time.