ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent SEGS enquiry

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hun12
Newly Registered

Urgent SEGS enquiry

Post by hun12 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi I got my MA degree results in July 2006 and I got my degree in Nov 2006. But my course is not in the SEGS list which cud enable me to apply for SEGS leave. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to apply for SEGS visa scheme.

Thanks alot.

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 am

Do you know what SEGS means? It is Science & Engineering Graduate Scheme, which allows students with some specific (normally oit covers all courses) Science & Engineering graduates to stay in the UK for 1 more year after their course completion.

As far as I know MA (Master of Arts) does not come under Science...

You better try HSMP if you are eligible :)

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Urgent SEGS enquiry

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:45 am

hun12 wrote:Hi I got my MA degree results in July 2006 and I got my degree in Nov 2006. But my course is not in the SEGS list which cud enable me to apply for SEGS leave. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to apply for SEGS visa scheme.

Thanks alot.
You cannot apply for SEGS (or the new IGS) because your degree falls in the 2006 year, which is before the new IGS started (2007). As it states:
What if I finished my course before 1 May 2007 and was planning to apply for the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme?

You should apply on the IGS form, but your application will be considered under the conditions of the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS) as it existed on 30 April 2007.
To be granted leave under the scheme, if you completed your degree before 1 May 2007, applicants must (amongst other things):

• have successfully completed a relevant course at a recognised or listed UK institution of Higher or Further Education. A relevant course is:

• a degree course (with second class honours (2.2) or higher), Master’s or PhD on the relevant list of physical science, mathematics and engineering courses approved by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) for the purposes of this scheme. And must

• Have completed their course in the last 12 months (as shown by the date of expiry of leave as a Student to complete this course)
• intend to work during the period of leave granted under the scheme
• be able to maintain and accommodate themselves and any dependants without recourse to public funds;
• intend to leave the UK at the end of their stay (unless granted leave as a work permit holder, highly skilled migrant, business person or innovator).

How do I know if my course is eligible under SEGS?

The list of courses approved by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) is available below.

The List of courses for those receiving their results from 1 May 2005 to 30 April 2007 (98 kb)
From here: http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... cheme.html

So, if you don't have the relevant degree under the SEGS, you won't qualify. Try HSMP or get an employer who would sponsor you for a work permit. Are you currently based in the UK or elsewhere?