ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh Route - What are the first steps?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RedKite2010
Newly Registered

Surinder Singh Route - What are the first steps?

Post by RedKite2010 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 am

CURRENT SITUATION:

I am a British Male and want to marry my girlfriend who is from Honduras.
We are in love and want to be able to live and work together in the UK.

I am currently visiting my G/F in Honduras and I don´t have any work to go back to in the UK.

I return to the UK on 22nd Sept 2013, I could find a job but it wont help the immigration situation for my G/F as I won´t be able to earn enough and don't have enough savings.

My G/F is currently working here in Honduras and has a contract until 31st December 2013.
She graduated with a Masters in Marketing from a Honduran Uni!
She also reads, writes and speaks perfect English.
Spanish is her first language.
She was in UK from Feb 2012 - Feb 2013 on a Tier 5 Voluntary Visa, working in a care home.
This is when we met over a year ago now, we have been a couple for just under 1 year.
Anniversary is in 4 weeks.

At the moment she lives with her parents in Honduras and that is where we are staying at the moment.

When she was in the UK she applied for scholarships in several Uni´s and was one of the final 2 potential candidates for a scholarship at Oxford University.
Unfortunately for her the other interviewee spoke a 3rd language and it was the other girl who got the scholarship. (so close)

She has also applied for jobs without success because of her immigration status.

WHAT WE WANT:

We want to get married as soon as possible, but we don´t know weather to get married in the UK, another EEA Country or Honduras.

Ultimately we want to live and work together and start a family in the UK.
I have identified the Surinder Singh Route as the only realistic option to make this possible.

First question:

Where is the best place to get married? UK, an EEA Country or Honduras ?

Second Question:

After being married what is the next step?

Do I travel back from Honduras alone unmarried?
Do I travel back alone as a married man?
Do I travel back with my wife?
Do I travel back with my girlfriend unmarried?
Do I find accommodation & work in another EEA Country and then my girlfriend travels over and we get married in that Country?
Do we need to apply for a marriage licence before doing anything?

Travel to and from Honduras to UK is very expensive and if my Girlfriend travels to UK/Europe again we want it to be permanent we don´t want to be backwards and forwards all the time as neither of us can afford it.

As you can see I am confused about the first steps needed to take to make use of the Surinder Singh Route.

Any help massively appreciated.

Thanks
K.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 am

Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am

First thing is marriage, probably easier abroad.

Next is going to an EEA country, not UK, with spouse, under Directive 2004/38/EC.

Next is working in that country for a few months.

See also A way to legally circumvent new immigration rules and BBC.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am

if you are serious about marriage then the simpliest point would be:

1) marry in hondorous.
2) move to an eea state that is not the uk and work there
- republic of ireland is an option...
- may need a FREE entry visa for your spouse
3) apply for eea family permit to return to uk
4) move back to the uk

check out the following information:
EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting

Irish visa is a matter of applying online, and posting off required evidence (including a letter stating you are travelling together)

the hardest part is gathering proof of living together, home and actually finding the job in the other eea state.

See The ireland forum as Bridged from Ireland has made a lot of friendly and helpful posts.

Also, a previous topic of mine RE Ireland Irish Class D Visa

RedKite2010
Newly Registered

Post by RedKite2010 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks for the response.
Lots of reading to do, lets hope i can make sense of it all.

The plan was to try and find work in Ireland first of all then, Spain, France or Germany.

Are the Cannery Islands part of the EEA?

My family and friends have a lot of contacts in Ireland, and we have family and friends in Spain, France and Germany, so hopefully find 1 or several jobs, as long as its enough to pay all the bills.

If we decided to get married in the UK could she/we apply for a marriage licence once in the UK or does this have to be done before she enters the UK?

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Islands

They are part of the EU, but whether they are actually in the EEA I don't know...

Directive/Vinny/Obie would be able to clarify... I know that the Isle of Man doesnt constitute part of the EEA...

However: this document seems to state they are:
http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondoc ... tories.pdf

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 pm

RedKite2010 wrote:
Are the Cannery Islands part of the EEA?
Canaries are part of Spain and in the EU. They don't participate in some aspects of the EU, but freedom of movement applies there.