ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP Refused - Lack of Naric...Pls help.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abhi1975k
Newly Registered

HSMP Refused - Lack of Naric...Pls help.

Post by abhi1975k » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Guys,
Just recieved my rejection letter:

Applied 29Jan - In country
Ref number 31 Jan

submitted
------------
1.Original degree + original transcripts- MS Electrical Engineering (US University top 10)

2. P60,P45, 12 payslips , 12 payslips, 12 bank statements, letter from employer confirming salary

3.Age proof - driver's license
4.IELTS 8.5

Reason for rejection: Qualification - Zero points, recieved full points in all others.

Reason:
---------
- You state you have a degree equivalent to UK master's degree
- Naric states a masters degree from usa is only equivalent to a uk masters if awarded as a specialization following a bachelors degree in the same subject
- No evidence has been provided to confirm that the bachelors degree in the same subject has been awarded
- Therefore we have assessed your masters degree as a post-graduate qualification
- In line with the published guidance, no points have been awarded.

Not to mention that My MS was from a top university better than most of the ones in the UK.Now I have just completed 4 years on my work permit and have just one year left, still thinking it might be safe to get a Naric and reapply.

Do I get a Naric for:

1. Only Masters dagree
2. Both Masters and Bachelors (MY B.E is from India)

My BE is in Electronics and MS in Electrical (in the US, Electronics is part of the Electrical dept.)

I am thinking of getting the Naric only for Masters, lest the caseworker come up with a new way of rejecting my application saying that the bachelors and masters "must" be in the same subject.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Reshma

Post by Reshma » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:34 pm

Sorry to hear this.
I would suggest you to apply for NARIC without wasting time.
Get your Post graduation verified only if you want to claim points for that.
Otherwise only your graduation is enough.
There is no extra charge for NARIC if you verify your post graduation along with graduation.

abhi1975k
Newly Registered

Post by abhi1975k » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for your reply...what I specifically want to know is if

1. It is better to give the info of both Bachelors and Masters on Naric
2. Just the Masters assessment is enough without supplying the bachelors.

paramjit2k

hi

Post by paramjit2k » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:48 am

yeah spending 30 pounds on NARIC evaluation is better then wasting 400 pounds...
Regards,

Pam Aujla

Reshma

Post by Reshma » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:44 am

abhi1975k wrote:Thanks for your reply...what I specifically want to know is if

1. It is better to give the info of both Bachelors and Masters on Naric
2. Just the Masters assessment is enough without supplying the bachelors.
If you want to be in safer side....
Get only your Bachelors degree verified by NARIC.
Claim points only for Bachelor's degree.
Because of the resons mentioned by the case worker, you will not be able to get points for Masters degree.

paramjit2k

hi

Post by paramjit2k » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:06 am

No provide certificates of both the degrees...

NARIC will evaluate both degrees for 30 pounds only..u will be more safer...
Regards,

Pam Aujla

higgs.b0s0n
Newly Registered

Post by higgs.b0s0n » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 am

I'm in a similar situation, only 3 years later...I hold a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a university in the US that shows up in the PBS calculator. The calculator awards me 35 points for Masters. I even called UK NARIC and they verbally confirmed its equivalency to a UK Masters degree without asking me anything about my major in Masters vs that in the Bachelors program (although the verbal confirmation holds no water for all practical purposes). Is this correlation between the area of specialization in Bachelors vs Masters still applicable?

I have Bachelors degree in Engineering (Electronics & Telecommunications) from India but I wish to claim points for the M.S. degree in my Tier 1 visa application. I understand that we need to provide documentary evidence for points we're want to claim - how would HO have any idea about my B.E. degree if I do not send any documents to that effect? And why would they care?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 am

higgs.b0s0n wrote:I hold a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a university in the US that shows up in the PBS calculator. The calculator awards me 35 points for Masters.
So, what's the problem?
higgs.b0s0n wrote:Is this correlation between the area of specialization in Bachelors vs Masters still applicable?
No.

Reading Tier 1 (General) policy guidance will be useful.

regards

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 am

I think U.S. Master degree issue was discussed in this forum about 4 years ago, then also it was stated that unless the master degree and bachelor degree are in the same discipline, points are not awarded for Masters.

Indian Master degrees with two years duration are recognised by NARIC. May be worth verifying if your U.S. masters is of two years duration.

Saga

Post by Saga » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 am

I am thinking of getting the Naric only for Masters
I would do the same.. If NARIC attests your Masters as equivalent to UK Masters that should be ok.

Just of curiosity, which uni was ur Masters from ?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Jk2007 wrote:I think U.S. Master degree issue was discussed in this forum about 4 years ago, then also it was stated that unless the master degree and bachelor degree are in the same discipline, points are not awarded for Masters.
Four years is a long time! It is not HSMP anymore, it is Tier 1 (General) ... with new set of qualifying criteria.
Jk2007 wrote:]Indian Master degrees with two years duration are recognised by NARIC. May be worth verifying if your U.S. masters is of two years duration.
Won't the OP know himself whether he studied for 1 year or 2 years for his Masters degree? This said, the length of the course is immaterial as long as your qualification is listed in the PBS calculator. There is NO NEED for NARIC evaluation of a qualification listed in the PBS calculator.

regards

higgs.b0s0n
Newly Registered

Post by higgs.b0s0n » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Saga wrote:Just of curiosity, which uni was ur Masters from ?
North Carolina State University - Master of Science (Computer Networking - Electrical Engineering). It shows up in the PBS calculator and lets me claim 35 points regardless of whichever course of study I choose from the list.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've decided to choose "Engineering".

sushdmehta - Thanks for the tip but I've read the policy guidance quite thoroughly and did not have any confusion about the validity of my M.S. degree until I bumped into this 3 yr-old thread last night and read about the (weird) comparison of Bachelors area of study vs the major in MS degree. Just wanted to inquire if it's outdated information or if it's still applicable to first-time Tier 1 applications.

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 pm

higgs.b0s0n wrote:It shows up in the PBS calculator and lets me claim 35 points regardless of whichever course of study I choose from the list.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've decided to choose "Engineering".
If point based calculator awards you points then you're good to go!
higgs.b0s0n wrote:if it's outdated information.
If the Tier 1 policy guidance imposes no such restriction (which it doesn't, I believe), then forget about such information being outdated or not ... it is just not applicable to you!

regards