ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language test ILR and Postgraduate diploma

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MBU001
Newly Registered

English language test ILR and Postgraduate diploma

Post by MBU001 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

Could someone help with my query. I am on Tier 1 general and due to apply for ILR in Jan 2014 on the basis of 10 year long term residence as my 10 years will be in Jan earlier than my tier 1 expiry in July 2014. My question is that As i have got tier 1 on the basis of Postgraduate diploma PGD 2 years from south bank university, do i have to pass this English language test or i am ok with it. Please share your knowledge.

innocent_sinner123
Newly Registered

Post by innocent_sinner123 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:45 pm

You do not need to Pass any English test if you have passed any post graduate course from UK. Hope it helps

MBU001
Newly Registered

Post by MBU001 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Hello,

Many thanks for clarification but on the Homeoffice website it states degree holder, isnt PGD for 2 years is considered equivalent to Degree qualification in the UK. Thanks in advance. Just want be certain and affirmative in order to avoid any inconvenience in the future?

Thank you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 pm

innocent_sinner123 wrote:You do not need to Pass any English test if you have passed any post graduate course from UK. Hope it helps
Where did you read that? It's a UK degree which counts, I.e, Bachelors, masters or doctorate. However, for the OP, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

MBU001
Newly Registered

Post by MBU001 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Amber,

I have passed 2 year course of Postgraduate diploma from London south bank university. I am currently on TIER 1 GENERAL and all the visas were granted on the basis of PGD. Now i am taking 10 years ILR route in Jan 2014 as my TIER 1 visa is valid till july but 10 years fall in Jan . Am i ok with same qualification to meet the requirement of English language test. I am very confused please help

Thanks in advance

MBU001
Newly Registered

Post by MBU001 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 am

Just to add one more thing i sent a letter to UK NARIC quering same issue and they replied back that they are unable to process my request because my qualification is exempt from test. send your certificate to HOMEOFFICE to support your application but NARIC letter does state my qualification as PGD so how HOMEOFFICE will find out.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:32 pm

You should be ok. However, I suggest you email SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and post the response.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vrg18
Newly Registered

Re: English language test ILR and Postgraduate diploma

Post by vrg18 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:03 am

Hi Amber,
I am a dependant and with a "Post Graduate Diploma in Multimedia" from Swinburne University, Melbourne, Australia. Will this be accepted as English Language requirement for ILR? I was enrolled for Masters i.e. 2 years, but due to unforeseen circumstances I could not complete the entire module, though studied for 2 years.
University is well recognised - http://www.swinburne.edu.au/
I am due to submit my application along with my partner (the main applicant) later this month. Kindly advice on this.
Thank you,
V