ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PPS NUMBER

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

PPS NUMBER

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I have submitted an application for EU1 Residence Card , and i am currently awaiting a temporary stamp 4 to be issued .

I am wondering if i can go ahead and apply for a PPS No before i get issued the temporary stamp 4 ?

Has anyone successfully applied for PPS No with a blank passport without any visa before ?

treefriend

Re: PPS NUMBER

Post by treefriend » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:19 am

OLUMUYIWA wrote:I have submitted an application for EU1 Residence Card , and i am currently awaiting a temporary stamp 4 to be issued .

I am wondering if i can go ahead and apply for a PPS No before i get issued the temporary stamp 4 ?

Has anyone successfully applied for PPS No with a blank passport without any visa before ?
When did you apply? Currently EU treaty right department is facing backlog and taking 7 to 8 weeks to process applications initially. In some cases, they are not issuing stamp4 until unless specifically asked.

Best of Luck

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi OLUMUYIWA

Did you not apply for a pps number before submitting the application? It asks for a pps of the applicant on the form.

Bloody-Fox

Post by Bloody-Fox » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:Hi OLUMUYIWA

Did you not apply for a pps number before submitting the application? It asks for a pps of the applicant on the form.
That's also what i'm wondering about..

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't know how to get a pps number for my husband without a utility bill in his name. We will be moving to a family friends house and providing their documents with a letter stating that we are living with them rent-free.

How can I get proof of residence/address if we don't pay any bills? I was thinking of getting a joint account with bank of Ireland, but don't think they do them?

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:50 pm

[quote="Bloody-Fox"][quote="Jellybean105"]Hi OLUMUYIWA

Did you not apply for a pps number before submitting the application? It asks for a pps of the applicant on the form.[/quote]

That's also what i'm wondering about..[/quote]

No , i didnt apply for PPS No , before sending the EU1 form .

You dont necessarily have to provide a PPS No on the form if you dont have one. Its not a requirement for eufam residence card.

Has anyone of you applied for a PPS No with a blank passport before?////or even without a valid work permit/ visa before ?

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Jellybean,

The pps office does not require a utility bill as proof of address. They accept many documents as proof of address. So the simple approach is for your husband to write to a few state offices, (eg to apply for a job or with a query) and when they write back their letter to you is proof of address.

I know that seems strange - but you need a letter adressed to you at a particular address to show that you live at that adress, so you generate that letter by sending a query to some state office.

You write a simple query - eg write to the local library to ask if it accessible by wheelchair. That is easy to answer, so they should reply fairly fast. Then you have a letter which is acceptable proof of address for the purpose of getting a pps number.
BL

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi Brigid from Ireland

Thank you for clarifying that. I was hoping to get it done asap. Someone advised that the homeowner (who is letting us stay) can provide a utility bill in his name and a letter stating we are living there.

Would they accept that?

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:55 am

[quote="Brigid from Ireland"]Hi Jellybean,

The pps office does not require a utility bill as proof of address. They accept many documents as proof of address. So the simple approach is for your husband to write to a few state offices, (eg to apply for a job or with a query) and when they write back their letter to you is proof of address.

I know that seems strange - but you need a letter adressed to you at a particular address to show that you live at that adress, so you generate that letter by sending a query to some state office.

You write a simple query - eg write to the local library to ask if it accessible by wheelchair. That is easy to answer, so they should reply fairly fast. Then you have a letter which is acceptable proof of address for the purpose of getting a pps number.[/quote]

So Brigid, can i apply for PPS No with a blank passport ? Any personal experience?

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 am

@ Olu, it is not possible to apply for PPS without some sort of legal residence, if you looked carefully through the Ireland section of the forum, you will see the story of a guy who tried and failed for reason of being an illegal immigrant and thus cannot be issued to him.

You can as well try, but unlikely to be issued, wait for your temporary stamp I will suggest.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 am

Okay so now I am really confused. Is it necessary to get a pps number before applying for a resident card through Eu1 form? And do I need to register my husband with garda now or do I do that after as well?

Bloody-Fox

Post by Bloody-Fox » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:58 am

Jellybean105 wrote:Okay so now I am really confused. Is it necessary to get a pps number before applying for a resident card through Eu1 form? And do I need to register my husband with garda now or do I do that after as well?
I assume that he does not need the PPS number in order to make the application, but should get the GNIB card from the garda before the application, in order to have any identification at all, whilst INIS are with his passport..

But I'm looking for a confirmation of exactly that myself..

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Thank you for your reply. But my husband does not have a visa or entry stamp so will garda give him a gnib card?

Please can someone reply asap as we dont want to get in trouble!

gismanchester

Post by gismanchester » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:19 pm

hi Jellybean

you donot need to apply for gnib card from Grada, you can just apply EU1 and apply for ur husband, also no requirement for pps number as well.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks gismanchester! :D

All ready to apply now!

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Re: PPS NUMBER

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm

[quote="OLUMUYIWA"]I have submitted an application for EU1 Residence Card , and i am currently awaiting a temporary stamp 4 to be issued .

Has anyone successfully applied for PPS No with a blank passport without any visa before ?[/quote]

Just a quick update for anyone who might be wondering about this in the future -

I went to apply for my PPS No last week tuesday with my blank passport (no stamp 4, or eufam4 in my passport, no GNIB card) , my PPS No came in the post Monday this week ....just 5 days.

So you dont actually need any residency stamp in your passport before you can apply for a PPS No.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Olumuyiwa,

This is what I was trying to explain. The pps number is available to lots of people, many of whom do not even live in Ireland. I work as a translator and I help men to complete a pps application form when their spouse is not even living in Ireland and never intends to live in Ireland. To be clear, she will never set one foot on Irish land. She lives in another EU country with her children and her husband needs for his wife and all children to get PPS number so that he can claim his rights under social welfare (130 euro per child per month in child benefit) and his rights under taxation as a married man, to offset the cost of supporting his wife. In some cases the man is not married but has a child outside marriage in another EU country and he supports the child. Once again there is 130 euro per month and tax advantage as a single unmarried parent supporting a child to be gained. For all these things he needs to get a pps number for the child or the wife.

It is particularly easy to get a PPS number if you are in the country less than three months, because EU law gives the right to stay without condition for three months only, so when there is proof that you are in the country for more than three months the pps office can ask for more information, sometimes it is hard to supply the extra information, so I tell everyone to apply for pps within one week of arrival in Ireland.

I am delighted to hear that you had success with applying for pps number.
BL

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi

When we went to get a pps number for my husband the man at the counter said we need his passport (with some kind of correspondence with INIS) ans proof of address.
At the time my husband didn't have anything in his passport and now he's given it in with the residency application.
What can we do now? I wasn't aware he could get it with a blank passport. I guess we just have to wait until they return our documents?

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:35 pm

You will probably need to wait until the passport is returned to you. If the EU citizen has a job, even a poorly paid part time job, this is not a problem. It is a bigger issue if the EU citizen is still looking for work.

In future, if an official tells you verbally that he is refusing your request, you smile politely, take note of the time and his name if you can get it easily and go home to write an e-mail appealing that decision. You e-mail the Department and you cc the e-mail to the Minister of State for the relevant department eg Minister of Health. Their e-mail addresses are in the phone book or online.

You make sure to use both the words 'complain' and 'appeal' in your e-mail. This means that the matter is counted as a complaint against the Department and also as an appeal. The number of complaints is measured statistacally so it matters to the office, because if there are too many complaints a senior manager must investigate to see if there is a pattern of poor service there. But you must use the words 'complain' and 'appeal' otherwise it is not counted.

You do not engage in long verbal discussion or you will be accused of being agressive, you simply leave the office with a smile and write your letter of complaint and appeal. There is video in most state offices so you must make sure your body language is polite and not agressive. So you smile politely and leave to write your e-mail.

Example:

I attended X office at Y location on date and spoke to Mr AB (or give a polite factual description if you do not have a name). He verbally refused to accept my application for Z as he said I needed to provide W document. I wish to appeal this decision as I do not think that document W is required. I wish to complain because the decision was given verbally and I think that he should have taken my application papers and refused my application in writing, stating clearly the reason for his refusal, so that it would be easier for me to appeal the decision. I would appreciate it if you could deal with this issue urgently as it is causing great stress for me. I wish to request under Freedom of Information and Data Protection laws all personal data you hold regarding me. This includes any video taken in X office on Y date.

In one case the above e-mail caused such consternation in the office who received it that they phoned the person who complained and said they would send an official to her home address to take the application if she wished, as it had been refused in error, and they would process it with speed and return it to her the following day. It was not a pps number issue, but it did show how fast they could work when motivated. The request for video gets you a photo of you in the office and means they will be forced to identify the officer who refused you request, as he will also be on the video. You make the request on the same day, because the video is destroyed after a period of time, perhaps a week. This type of e-mail tends to have a motivating effect on senior managers in state offices.

It also makes you unpopular, so don't do it if the matter is one in respect of which the state official may exercise judgement. But do it with freedom if it is a matter of law and you have the law on your side.

Anecdotally there is a big problem with state officials refusing to take the papers for an application in respect of various state services and issuing a verbal refusal. It is very difficult to appeal these later as there is no paperwork, so a verbal refusal should be followed on the same day with a written e-mail of complaint and appeal, as outlined above. That creates the necessary paperwork.
BL

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank you for that. We didn't actually go through and speak to an official, we asked at the information desk and the man was actually really nice and explained it calmly. I'm guessing he doesn't know what the exact procedure is if its not 'by the book'. But from what he was saying we didn't want to risk giving a blank passport.
We had actually just got out of INIS office and the garda office though that we were trying to get a 6 month stamp and jumping the queue or something. He called an officer to take an 'interview' but actually was more like a 'so why are you here' and after each reply he said 'so'!?
I calmly explained that we couldnt get his visa in the UK and so we came by ferry and tried to get an entry stamp but coudn't find anyone.
He said 'so your husband was illegal in the UK so he though he'd just go to another country and become illegal ' which I found really rude.
Even then I said politely that I am exercising my EU treaty rights over here, I have my own business and so my husband is not illegal.
In the end (which he could have calmly and nicely said at the start of the conv) that there is a procedure you have to go through - apply via EU1 form and then we will let them decide what to do with you.

So yeah, we just applied without the pps number and wrote in a letter that we tried to get it but needed correspondence from you and once we get it, we will go and get it.