ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 (PhD student) to Enterpreneurship visa

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

culio347
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 (PhD student) to Enterpreneurship visa

Post by culio347 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:09 am

Hello,

I am currently on a tier 4 student visa studying an MPhil leading to a PhD in engineering whereby after a year I can get an Mphil certificate or be transferred unto the PhD programme for the remaining 2 years to be awarded a PhD. But I am thinking of starting up my own business after the MPhil.

Is it is possible after 1 year of getting the Mphil degree to switch from tier 4 student visa to an enterpreneurship visa?

Is it also possible for me to return to complete that same PhD course with same university in the UK, would I be given a student visa again if I apply to switch back to student visa from enterpreneurship visa?

because prior to the Mphil leading to PhD, I have already studied for 5 years in the UK, so if I do 1 year of Mphil that is 6 years. so all I have left is 2 years and the limit to studying in the UK is 8 years.

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Re: Switching from Tier 4 (PhD student) to Enterpreneurship

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:18 pm

who told you that the limit of studying in the UK is 8 years?
culio347 wrote:Hello,

I am currently on a tier 4 student visa studying an MPhil leading to a PhD in engineering whereby after a year I can get an Mphil certificate or be transferred unto the PhD programme for the remaining 2 years to be awarded a PhD. But I am thinking of starting up my own business after the MPhil.

Is it is possible after 1 year of getting the Mphil degree to switch from tier 4 student visa to an enterpreneurship visa?

Is it also possible for me to return to complete that same PhD course with same university in the UK, would I be given a student visa again if I apply to switch back to student visa from enterpreneurship visa?

because prior to the Mphil leading to PhD, I have already studied for 5 years in the UK, so if I do 1 year of Mphil that is 6 years. so all I have left is 2 years and the limit to studying in the UK is 8 years.

culio347
Newly Registered

Re: Switching from Tier 4 (PhD student) to Enterpreneurship

Post by culio347 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 pm

It is on the UKBA website it states that:

"The limit will be 8 years if you are studying for a PhD at a recognised body or at an HEI"

"PhD exemption – the Home Office has exempted students studying a PhD at a HEI, while they study it. However, no further leave in the UK will be granted:
- once the PhD has been completed; and IF
- a further grant of leave would mean more than 8 years in the UK as a Tier 4 (G)/’old style’ student visa holder.

The Home Office will not grant further leave if student will exceed the cap unless there are ‘compelling an compassionate circumstances’ e.g. illness or disability".

Please can anyone answer my question?

Entrepreneur9 wrote:who told you that the limit of studying in the UK is 8 years?
culio347 wrote:Hello,