ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering child for Britsh citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aqib.khan
Newly Registered

Registering child for Britsh citizenship

Post by aqib.khan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Everyone.

I have read few articles before posting this but was not clear. so please excuse me if its a duplicate one.

I got ILR in January 2013 with my kids born outside of UK in 2003 / 2004
I also have a child born in UK in 2010.

Can you please advise how soon I can apply for British citizenship registration for my childern born in UK and outside of UK?

Also do I need to provide Marriage certificate for registration in both cases?

Many Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:16 am

What is the immigration status of your spouse/partner if you have one, and are they in the UK?

The child born in the UK will be entitled to register as British now, by virtue of section 1(3) on form MN1.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

aqib.khan
Newly Registered

Post by aqib.khan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:18 am

Me, Mywife and two Kinds born abroad all got ILR at the same time in January 2013. (currently all living in UK with me.)

My daughter born in UK in 20110 now with grand parents living outside of UK.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 am

You can still register the child that was born in the UK as British even when they are not resident here.

The other children should be registered with you and your wife when you apply to naturalise.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

aqib.khan
Newly Registered

Post by aqib.khan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:25 am

so in summary child born in UK can be register here in UK any time after ILR even if they are living abroad,

and children born outside of UK have to wait 12 month and get registered with us at the same time.

one last thing, do we need to supply marriage certificate when apply for registration?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:31 am

aqib.khan wrote:so in summary child born in UK can be register here in UK any time after ILR even if they are living abroad,

yes

and children born outside of UK have to wait 12 month and get registered with us at the same time.

They do not have to wait 12 months as they're under 13 however, as their registration is by discretion they should apply to register when you apply to naturalise.

one last thing, do we need to supply marriage certificate when apply for registration?

For the child born in the UK you will need their birth certificate and proof that you have ILR (your BRP) for other documents see the guide for either AN (adults) or MN1 (children).

aqib.khan
Newly Registered

Post by aqib.khan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:35 am

Thank you sooooOOO much for all your help. :-)

lastly do we know roughly how long it take for registration and if using the nationality checking service makes it any quicker?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 am

Yes, use the NCS for the application and I would expect a decision within 8 weeks but it can take up to 6 months.

aqib.khan
Newly Registered

Post by aqib.khan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks Amber :)

NightCrawler
Newly Registered

Post by NightCrawler » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Please can someone tell me that why MN1 form asks for ILR status if children born in UK don't need one? Or this is N/A for children born in UK?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 pm

N/A