ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Access to NHS for a dependent of EU national, working in UK?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Access to NHS for a dependent of EU national, working in UK?

Post by obormot » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

I (EU citizen) and my retired mother (non-EU, 68 years old) moved to UK just over a month ago, with the intention to settle permanently. We applied for EEA2 for her, and got COA with right to work.
I have a permanent (open ended) full time job, and I pay National Insurance tax. So I guess I am entitled to use NHS services. What about my mother?
Apparently there is some discussion going on in the parliament about making over-seas visitors paying for the health care..
There is this link:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/h ... abroad.htm
which says:
"You can get free NHS hospital treatment if you are lawfully entitled to be in the UK and usually live here. This is called being ordinarily resident."
Is it my mom's case?
Or is it that she has to stay here for 12 months first? Or?
Also, I understand that we have to register with GP, but what if they refuse my mom for having non-EU passport? Is there a standard place to complain, or to threaten them to complain if they refuse? (we are waiting for proof of address to go and try to register her)

DGTLJNK

Re: Access to NHS for a dependent of EU national, working in

Post by DGTLJNK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:44 pm

obormot wrote:I (EU citizen) and my retired mother (non-EU, 68 years old) moved to UK just over a month ago, with the intention to settle permanently. We applied for EEA2 for her, and got COA with right to work.
I have a permanent (open ended) full time job, and I pay National Insurance tax. So I guess I am entitled to use NHS services. What about my mother?
Apparently there is some discussion going on in the parliament about making over-seas visitors paying for the health care..
There is this link:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/h ... abroad.htm
which says:
"You can get free NHS hospital treatment if you are lawfully entitled to be in the UK and usually live here. This is called being ordinarily resident."
Is it my mom's case?
Or is it that she has to stay here for 12 months first? Or?
Also, I understand that we have to register with GP, but what if they refuse my mom for having non-EU passport? Is there a standard place to complain, or to threaten them to complain if they refuse? (we are waiting for proof of address to go and try to register her)
I've recently registered my wife with a GP (no more than a week ago) and there was no problem whatsoever that she only held a chinese passport without any valid visa, permit etc. They've only asked us to show the proof of address and some ID to prove the identity.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 pm

As a beneficiary of directive 2004/38/ec, your mum can be registered for NHS.