ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR experience at Birmingham PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Movado
Newly Registered

ILR experience at Birmingham PEO

Post by Movado » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:45 pm

I have to been granted ILR at Birmingham PEO this afternoon 8) . Booked an appointment last week and when I got there today they did security checks. They didnt really check my documents just asked what I was applying for and when I came into the UK. I was then given a ticket and after 15 minutes my ticket was called. The guy checkedt the following:
1) employer's letter
2) passport
3) 3 months pay slips
4) work permit document

There was one hiccup when the guy dealing with me noticed that I had started work in May and yet my visa stamp in passport for work permit was for April. He stated that i wasnt due yet as the 5 year started when I actually started employment. He then asked his supervisor who corrected him stating that my 5 started when i got my passport stamped NOT work start date!

Birmingham do have a sort of checklist and he asked the usual "have you been out of the UK for 2 yrs?" or "have you received any public funds?" After each answer he ticked a box. He did check my passort carefully to see I hadnt left UK for 2 yrs etc. He then told me that I would be given ILR and all I needed to do was pay £500 at the payment counter and come back after 45 mins to collect my passport. The "interview" and document check took about 10 minutes. I paid the amount and went to buy a paper as I was sceptical about the 45mins wait. Came back after about 40 mins and the security guys told me that my ticket number had been called 10 mins ago! :shock: :shock: :shock: I collected my passport with the ILR sticker in it! Total time from arrival to departure approx 1hr.
The staff were very polite even the security.

Next year Naturalisation!

British

Post by British » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:21 pm

Congrats Movado :-) Enjoy!

best regards.

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Congratulations.

I just wonder why didn't you apply for ILR last year after 4 years on WP as your WP leave to enter stamp is from April 2002.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Movado
Newly Registered

Post by Movado » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:50 pm

tvt wrote:Congratulations.

I just wonder why didn't you apply for ILR last year after 4 years on WP as your WP leave to enter stamp is from April 2002.
Its because i got the wrong information from the HO. I phoned about them 3 times and emailed them in March last yer to clarify which date to use and they advised that a work permit starts when I start employment! :shock: Just like my interviewer thought but his supervisor was clued up and i felt a embrassed for him really because the way she corrected him was like "its so obvious. The immigration are clear that...." lol. If you phone the HO for advise you'll always get different answers most of them wrong or misleading. its only when I found this site that I found i could have applied last March before 4-5yrs change. Anyway at least I avoided paying £950 for the privilege!

Child benefit, tax credits etc here I come!

sams

Post by sams » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:23 pm

How did the immigration officer noticed, that you started the job in may 2002? As you mentioned you submitted last 3 months bank statement, employer letter (that should state that you will be continuing work), work permit (which shoul be the date earlier than even visa stamp)...

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:31 pm

movado wrote:Next year Naturalisation!
movado wrote:Anyway at least I avoided paying £950 for the privilege!
..and instead end up paying 575 pounds for the naturalisation... while you could have done it for 200 pounds if you got the ILR last year! Then again, no point crying over spilt milk.
Jabi

Movado
Newly Registered

Post by Movado » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 am

Docterror wrote:
movado wrote:Next year Naturalisation!
movado wrote:Anyway at least I avoided paying £950 for the privilege!
..and instead end up paying 575 pounds for the naturalisation... while you could have done it for 200 pounds if you got the ILR last year! Then again, no point crying over spilt milk.
True. Sam the employer's letter had start date in it. It shouldnt matter because it should be the date when you for leave to remain/enter for 5 years as work permit holder that counts. Otherwise there is always a gap between issue of work permit/stamp and actually starting the job. I think all this stuff is computerised anyway and they can check your work start date easily if they really really want to know. Your employer is just one phone call away LOL.

I had a previous thread asking about bank statements or work permit. My question was answered. It can be either so long as you can show a steady good income monthly in your circumstances. Obviously if ur earning £2000 with a mortage of £1000 and 4 kids then its not going to stack up nicely.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:04 am

Movado - congrats!

From several reports here Birmingham PEO does sound like a much friendlier and more pleasant experience than Croydon.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

sid79

Post by sid79 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:37 am

Hi Guys,

I am almost finishing my 5 years on WP, but there is a GAP of five months in between and that is due to HO because they took 5 months to stamp my Visa as they said HO had a huge back log at that time time that is why it took that long.

Would that GAP cause me any problems

Thanks in advance for your help.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:43 am

Movado,

That is good to hear.

Now if only PEO would deal with HSMP holders.... I wouldn't mind paying the thousand pound!
Perry Ismangil

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:02 pm

have you been out of the UK for 2 yrs?
What is the meaning of this? I have a gap of 9 months (single gap in 5 years period) out of UK.

Do I qualify under ILR? Do they consider gap up to 2 years???

sid79

Post by sid79 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:28 pm

I do not know abt out of UK, I was in country and applied for in country extension and they granted me the visa but they took five months , technically that is not my fault.

tvt

Post by tvt » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:26 pm

have you been out of the UK for 2 yrs?
I think they were just a bit confused.

The 2 year period is the maximum allowed non-UK residence period to maintain an ILR status when returning to the UK.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

sid79

Post by sid79 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:29 am

I meant that I do not have ILR(soon applying) yet and have 5 months GAP in 5 years , because HO took 5 months(in country Application) to stamp the VISA when I changed my employer.

Question is Can I still apply for ILR or would that GAP cause any problem[quote]5 Months GAP between two visas in 5 years time for ILR, however I only been out of UK for 10 days max.[/quote]

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:51 pm

Sid79 unless someone with a different experience can suggest otherwise, if the gap of the 5 months was entirely the HO fault because of the back log of cases, the gap of 5 months should not affect your ILR application.

Just to make further clarifications, did you apply for the extension of your visa with the second WP before the visa expired? Also as an advice for the future, if you want your topic to be seen and answered to, pls start a new topic rather than post it as a reply under different posts so that it gets the due attention it requires.
Jabi

sid79

Post by sid79 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks doctoerror , I have open a new form "Applying ILR with 5 months GAP" , I am explaining my situation as clearyly as possible, please suggest what should I do .