ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MS degree

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jd
Member of Standing

MS degree

Post by jd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi,

I've a question on behalf of a friend.

She has two degrees with same title "Master in computer science". First got in 2002 from an ordinary university and 2nd one from a good well known university in 2004. So if we total her study years these are about 18 years.
This has been observed that NARIC considers 16 years Pakistan study equivalent to British Bachelor degree and 18 years Pakistan study equivalent to British Master degree.

So my question is, can she claim points for Master degree (35 points)?

Also, please let me know your comments.

Thanks,
JD

ALee_80

Re: MS degree

Post by ALee_80 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:42 pm

jd wrote:Hi,

I've a question on behalf of a friend.

She has two degrees with same title "Master in computer science". First got in 2002 from an ordinary university and 2nd one from a good well known university in 2004. So if we total her study years these are about 18 years.
This has been observed that NARIC considers 16 years Pakistan study equivalent to British Bachelor degree and 18 years Pakistan study equivalent to British Master degree.

So my question is, can she claim points for Master degree (35 points)?

Also, please let me know your comments.

Thanks,
JD

JD

The way you describe 'ordinary' university and 'well known' university is quite relative. Even though over here 18 years of studies done in Pakistan are considered equivalent to British Bachelors but still its upto them to decide whether they consider the degree obtained from the so-called 'ordinary' university to be upto that standard.

What I'd have done in this case is to have the degrees evaluated by NARIC to be absolutely certain. At a mere expense of 30 quid, you end up saving a lot of time and confusion for yourself. Be absolutely sure of what you send with your application because a small confusion at your end can translate into exponential volumes at the case worker's end.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck.
When you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi ALee_80,

Thanks for your comments. Sorry about bit confusion regarding words, ordinary meant to be not a know/reputed university.

Thanks again. If anyone else can share his/her point of view, i'll be grateful.

Thanks,
JD

sohail akhter

Post by sohail akhter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:52 pm

if u hold two master degrees, u will be considred having only 1 master degree, eventually u will be equivalenmt to UK bachelor degree.