ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Has anybody with ILR in the UK the right to work in the EU?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Zebrudaya

Has anybody with ILR in the UK the right to work in the EU?

Post by Zebrudaya » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Dear seniors

Please I need your advice and help over this issue. I have ILR and so, I know that I am allowed to work in the UK. But whilst applying for jobs, some of the job posts have openings in other European countries and the application form asks if the applicant is free to work in the EU etc. I am confused here because I assumed that since UK is part of EU and "ILR" allows one to work in the UK like British citizens, it stands to reason that an ILR holder should be free to work in the EU as well.

I don`t know how correct this reasoning is. This has prevented me from applying to many jobs. Kindly enlighten me and others with similar problems. Over to you seniors for the answer to this tricky situation.

Thank you for a prompt reply.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Having ILR does not confer right of residence for other EEA countries but when you become British (if) then you will have EEA rights to travel/work freely around Europe. I assume your partner (if you have one) is not a UK or EEA national.

Bare in mind absences for citizenship and returning residents (click)
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm

You cant work in eu with your ILR.You may even need permission to travel to most eu countries depending on your passport.

To gain the full benefit of work and travel within EU you need to be a British citizen.

Zebrudaya

Re: Is someone with ILR free to work anywhere in the EU?

Post by Zebrudaya » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:54 am

Thank you Amber ( D4109125 ) and peppekalle for your prompt and illuminating answers. I am grateful for your pieces of advice.