ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when best to apply for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

splashing

when best to apply for naturalisation

Post by splashing » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi all, I need your help re the residence requirement.

I came into the country as a student in 2006, had my graduation in Nov 2007, after which i applied for hsmp – my hsmp visa was stamped in my passport dated 22nd January 2008 for 2 yrs, extended for 3 yrs in Jan 2010 (Tier 1 Gen) and on Jan 11 2013,1 got my ILR.
Now my question is – do you think I can apply for naturalisation by jan 12 2014 or wait till jan 22nd which would exactly 5yrs as the form says you must be residing in the country exactly 5 yrs when application is received. The truth is I was already in UK but my hsmp had not started running. I only had the approval letter. The visa was not issued yet.

Pls help

many thanks

cricinfo

Re: when best to apply for naturalisation

Post by cricinfo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm

splashing wrote:Hi all, I need your help re the residence requirement.

I came into the country as a student in 2006, had my graduation in Nov 2007, after which i applied for hsmp – my hsmp visa was stamped in my passport dated 22nd January 2008 for 2 yrs, extended for 3 yrs in Jan 2010 (Tier 1 Gen) and on Jan 11 2013,1 got my ILR.
Now my question is – do you think I can apply for naturalisation by jan 12 2014 or wait till jan 22nd which would exactly 5yrs as the form says you must be residing in the country exactly 5 yrs when application is received. The truth is I was already in UK but my hsmp had not started running. I only had the approval letter. The visa was not issued yet.

Pls help

many thanks
You can apply on 12th of Jan provided you meet other standard requirements. Stay as student also count towards residency.

splashing

Post by splashing » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Many thanks Cricinfo