ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice abt EEA2 application from moderators

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ran

Need advice abt EEA2 application from moderators

Post by ran » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi,

I am an Indian national living in the uk for the last 5 years. Initially I was a student and since 2004 may am on a hsmp visa. I plan to get married to my dutch girlfriend this summer and am planning to apply for a EEA residence permit but I had several queries about it.

My initial query is whether I can apply for a EEA residence permit from within uk on an hsmp visa.

My girlfriend is a student and has been living in uk since summer 2005. She is currently doing her PhD since last year. I think she is exercising her treaty rights in that respect. But I needed to know whether there are any further requirements on her for being a 'qualifying' person as she is a student. ( I had noticed in some websites that health insurance etc. maybe required). And are the chances of success higher in EEA2 applications if my gf takes up a job?

Also I needed to know whether the visa will be given for a period of 5 years for sure or can it be for a lesser period as she is a student because then it would mean an application hassle again in the future. Related to that - does she need to apply for registration certificate herself?

Finally, do we need to enclose our passports for the application or can it be done later on request. We were thinking of applying with notarized copies of our passports.

I would be most grateful to get any feedback.

ran

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:56 pm

I plan to get married to my dutch girlfriend this summer and am planning to apply for a EEA residence permit but I had several queries about it.
Whilst you will be entitled to use form EEA2 to apply for a Residence Card, you need to think carefully about this. The fact is that if you switch to the EEA/EU route your clock towards ILR/Permanent Residence will be reset back to zero. So as you say that you got HMSP in 2004, you only have another 2 or "2 and a bit" years before you will qualify for your ILR.
John

ran

Post by ran » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:13 pm

John wrote:
to the EEA/EU route your clock towards ILR/Permanent Residence will be reset back to zero. So as you say that you got HMSP in 2004, you only have another 2 or "2 and a bit" years before you will qualify for your ILR.
Dear John,

Thanks for your reply. I know that the clock would be reset if i go for the eea route but with all the complications and constant changes with hsmp i just dont want any further stress. I have heard that HO may change the rules again next year - when i have to extend the hsmp for another year to fullfill the 5 year requirement.

I would really appreciate your guidance on my specific queries regarding the EEA2 application process. (Especially the requirements to be fullfilled by my gf to exercise her treaty rights and the length of the visa that would be given to me.)

Thanks again for your feedback - am most grateful.

ran

ran

EEA residence Card

Post by ran » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi,

Can anybody please give me some guidance on my queries regarding the EEA residence card application (as detailed in my original post).
I would be most grateful if you can point me to any resoources where I can get some help. I have tried the HO website and some EU websites but have not found the information I am looking for.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ran

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:32 pm

I think you are correct, she is exercising treaty rights by studying in the UK. The residence card is issued for 5 years; I haven't heard of them issuing it for any other lengths of time. As far as I know, she doesn't need to apply for residence herself; however, have a look on some of the other threads. I seem to remember people mentioning that their EEA2 applications were prcessed faster if the EU spouse also submitted an application. (i think it's form EEA1 but double check that.)

I would think that sending in certified copies is acceptable, but they WILL need the original passports at some point. I'll have a look later and see if I can find anything else for you.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 pm

OK! Let us get to the task at hand and start with your queries one by one
My initial query is whether I can apply for a EEA residence permit from within uk on an hsmp visa.
Yes you can! There is no "no switching " rule from the immigration to the EEA route.
But I needed to know whether there are any further requirements on her for being a 'qualifying' person as she is a student.
Once you get married there is no requirement on her part to qualify in any other way by exercising her treaty right like a worker etc. Exercising her treaty right as a student will be enough. But she will have to prove that she has enough resources for her which can be proven from the evidence of your income . Even though the need of medical insurance is theoretically a requirement of exercising a treaty right in such cases, I do not know how strictly it is practically implemented in the UK.
Also I needed to know whether the visa will be given for a period of 5 years for sure or can it be for a lesser period as she is a student because then it would mean an application hassle again in the future.
The Residence Card issued to non-EEA family members is usually issued for five years. But if the treaty right is going to be exercised for a lesser period of time, it will be issued for the period of time. For example, if your wife's course is going to be for 2 years, that is how long your Residence Card will be for.
Finally, do we need to enclose our passports for the application or can it be done later on request. We were thinking of applying with notarized copies of our passports.
Requesting the passports back while your EEA2 application is processed does not affect the application. I do not know how well only a certified copy of your passports will do. If anyone has been brave enough to do that I will let them comment on it.

As a side note, looking at John's reply just makes me realise that you are sitting on an immigrant's resident-status-related gold mine. Just think about this- you get married in summer by which time you hardly have 2 years more to make it to the holy grail of ILR on your HSMP. Also at the first instance that you enter the UK (incase you get married abroad) or since the day you get married in UK an invisible clock starts ticking towards the 5 year required for PR(Permanent Residence) as the non-EEA family member of an EEA national under the EEA route. If by any chance the HO does change the rules of HSMP when you apply for extension, you can apply for the Residence Card then and still not lose any time in getting your PR under the EEA route. And if they donot change the rules, you could have the ILR with just one more year.. all by yourself with no thanks your wife. Either way its a win-win situation for you.

If you are still stubborn about reseting your immigration clock immediately after your marriage, I suggest that you mention nothing about she being a student. Just show evidence of your income and put her down as economically self-sufficient. That way you dont have to worry about the shorter Residence Card as you can put down the duration of your employment as indefinite and get the 5 year validity for your Residence card at one shot.

I would have replied earlier to your post had I known I would have qualified to do so inspite of not being a moderator. 8)
Jabi