ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PIO better for minors ?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tusharagrawal

PIO better for minors ?

Post by tusharagrawal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 am

Looking at the info posted in some other thread -
http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

It appears that for minors, one is better off getting PIO rather than OCI.
Once they are 21, they can always get an OCI.

Have I missed something, or does anyone think otherwise ?

Advantage of OCI over PIO for a minor ?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: PIO better for minors ?

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:07 am

tusharagrawal wrote:Looking at the info posted in some other thread -
http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

It appears that for minors, one is better off getting PIO rather than OCI.
Once they are 21, they can always get an OCI.

Have I missed something, or does anyone think otherwise ?

Advantage of OCI over PIO for a minor ?
You havent said your views about why its PIO is better for minors?

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 am

My bad, just posted the link.
PIO is valid for 15 years and when a minor gets a new passport (typically after 5 years), PIO in old passport is still valid.
With OCI, new application has to be made when the passport is renewed after 5 years.

Cost of PIO for minor is £112 at the moment, and OCI is £175.

Don't think if minors with PIO have to register with local police if the stay in India is over 180 days (haven't double checked this).

And PIO can be converted to OCI and cost at the moment is £94.

It takes around 3 months to get OCI (based on current timelines), not sure about PIO, looking at 2 threads, its around 4 weeks. Can anyone share how long it takes to get PIO ?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:57 pm

tusharagrawal wrote:My bad, just posted the link.
PIO is valid for 15 years and when a minor gets a new passport (typically after 5 years), PIO in old passport is still valid.
With OCI, new application has to be made when the passport is renewed after 5 years.

Don't think if minors with PIO have to register with local police if the stay in India is over 180 days (haven't double checked this).

It takes around 3 months to get OCI (based on current timelines), not sure about PIO, looking at 2 threads, its around 4 weeks. Can anyone share how long it takes to get PIO ?
You are thinking purely from money/effort point of view. Everytime you stay in India for >6 months you have to register with FPRO office.

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:10 pm

PIO card holders need to register with the appropriate FRRO (Foreigner Regional Registration Office) if they are planning to stay in India for more than 180 days. This requirement is not applicable for minors.

Yes, its effort and money both. Is there any specific advantage with OCI ?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

ric1982 wrote: Everytime you stay in India for >6 months you have to register with FPRO office.
Minors are exempted from registration.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:22 pm

tusharagrawal wrote: PIO is valid for 15 years and when a minor gets a new passport (typically after 5 years), PIO in old passport is still valid.
Also see
Bureau of immigration wrote: Foreigners holding PIO cards-

The foreigners holding PIO cards can gain entry into India if valid PIO card is presented along with the valid new foreign passport issued in lieu of the passport endorsed on the PIO card.

However the foreigners are advised to have necessary endorsement of the new passport from the competent authority on their PIO cards to avoid any inconvenience.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 pm

tusharagrawal wrote:PIO card holders need to register with the appropriate FRRO (Foreigner Regional Registration Office) if they are planning to stay in India for more than 180 days. This requirement is not applicable for minors.

Yes, its effort and money both. Is there any specific advantage with OCI ?
Ofcourse My bad.

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks ban.s

From HCILondon http://www.hcilondon.in/pio.html

Miscellaneous Services along with fee detail

For replacement of lost or damaged PIO Card, for endorsing the new passport number in the PIO Card on acquisition of new passport, for address change, for change in surname or middle name.
• Fee £72.00 for lost or damaged PIO Card [for lost PIO Card, Police report & Lost PIO Card copy needed].
• Fee £9.00 for the following services :-
a.Change of Passport number (new passport, PIO card and old passport required)
b.Address change (Passport, PIO card and New address proof required)
c.Surname/Middle name change (Passport, PIO card and Marriage Certificate/Name change deed from Notary required)

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:33 pm

So, is there any specific advantage in taking OCI for minors ?

In our specific case, once we get our BP and surrender our IP, we will have around 5 weeks before we travel to India (trip planned already).
So we are planning to get PIO for all (me, my partner & our son) hoping that we get it in 4 weeks.
On our return we can move from PIO to OCI, and again, there is no rush to do this.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi tusharagrawal,

Can you share how long it took to get pio for you and your family? Also can you describe your experience of the application etc?

I need to travel to India after getting British passport and was wondering whether ti go back on some visa then apply for oci from india or take pio and then go to India. All depends on the tmelines and the ease of the process.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

km25

Re:

Post by km25 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:57 pm

tusharagrawal wrote:My bad, just posted the link.

Dear all,
Is the OCI not valid for lifetime whereas the PIO is valid only for 15 years? I am confused by the above statement! If the minor's passport or the adult's passport is renewed every 5/10 years, then wouldn't the OCI on the old passport be still valid? Why should a fresh application be made every 5/10 years when you can carry your old passport with the OCI along with the renewed passport?

Can someone pls clarify as I couldnt find the relevant page on the HCI website which mentions the validity and the differences between the PIO and OCI?

thanks,

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Re:

Post by samkma » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:43 pm

[quote/]

Dear all,
Is the OCI not valid for lifetime whereas the PIO is valid only for 15 years? I am confused by the above statement! If the minor's passport or the adult's passport is renewed every 5/10 years, then wouldn't the OCI on the old passport be still valid? Why should a fresh application be made every 5/10 years when you can carry your old passport with the OCI along with the renewed passport?

Can someone pls clarify as I couldnt find the relevant page on the HCI website which mentions the validity and the differences between the PIO and OCI?

thanks,[/quote]

PIO valid for 15 yrs.
OCI life long (come with a string attached!) you need to re-apply for minors everytime you get a new passport! for adults OCI re-apply when you are past half a century score (50yrs)
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Samkma,

When you say you have to "re-apply for minors everytime you get a new passport! for adults OCI re-apply when you are past half a century score (50yrs)", do you mean re-apply as a fresh application (and pay £175) or apply for it to be transferred to a new passport (the fee for which, I think, is around £20)?

Thanks.