ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired Previous Passport- Is that a Problem?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Thought_Oasis
Newly Registered

Expired Previous Passport- Is that a Problem?

Post by Thought_Oasis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Guys!

I was going to apply for my first British Passport soon... and they had a requirement of sending over my previous passport that I entered the UK with (alongwith the application).

However, during my citizenship application my previous passport expired in May and I didn't renew it as I thought it was unnecessary.

So- essentially- is it OK for me to send over the passport as proof even though it expired in May?....(Personally, I think it should be fine as that's the document I entered with but I need to be sure)

Many Thanks!

VR

Refer next reply

Post by VR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:38 pm

The valid supporting documents if you are applying from within uk says as follows;

your valid passport or travel document - if your passport was not issued in the UK, it must contain immigration stamps showing that you are living here;
Last edited by VR on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VR

I believe you do not need a valid passport

Post by VR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:45 pm

The valid supporting documents if you are applying from within uk says as follows;

your valid passport or travel document - if your passport was not issued in the UK, it must contain immigration stamps showing that you are living here;

I believe this provision is worded thus because assuming you were applying for Further leave to remain and did not have a valid document you could not be deported.

Not sure if they insist you should have a valid passport in addition to the one that contains the stamps. Best option is call up NCS and see what they say.

Conclusion: as far as your naturalization application is concerned when you apply for it through NCS they will check your identity and return your original travel document. Assuming you have a valid one you can travel. They are interested in verifying you ILR stamp and identity. If you do not want to travel or say if you have applied to your embassy for a new passport and there is a shortage of books in their store, the Border agency cannot insist you should come with a valid foreign passport.

Risks: Better confirm with the NCS before you apply as it might be subject of interpretation by the case worker on the day.
cheers
vr