ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation documents?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marc9477
Newly Registered

Naturalisation documents?

Post by marc9477 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:14 pm

After reading lots of posts, I see that people have been sending letters from employers with their naturalisation application. I didn't see this anywhere on the list of items to send.

My situation is came over on Work Permit 6.5 years ago. 3 years later changed to HSMP. Got Indefinite leave to remain about 15 months ago.

I'm from America.

I included certified copies of my passport, original Life in UK Pass letter, and application form.

Should I have sent letters from my employers during the time I've been in the UK?

Not sure what to do. Are these letters from the employer necessary?

thanks

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:35 pm

I don't know where you got this piece of information, but I can't find any post on this forum suggesting that you supply a letter of employment with your application.

Firstly, being currently employed is not a prerequisite for naturalisation, and secondly a letter of employment is simply not listed in the list of required documents.

Remember, less is more. Do not supply anything that you are not specifically asked to supply.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:48 pm

In my case I was asked to bring letters from employers. However, this was only because I am an EU citizen, and my passport doesn't get stamped when I leave or enter the UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:50 pm

In my case I was asked to bring letters from employers.
Who asked?
John

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:31 pm

A letter from your employer is required (and have been working during the period obviously) ONLY if you passport does not fully cover the 5 year period, in my case my passport covered 4 1/2 years, for the final six months I provided a letter from my employer saying I was in full time employment with them and based in the UK.

It is clearly stated on the Guide AN on Page 27:
APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED
KINGDOM
Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married or in civil
partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application
• Your passports OR say why you are unable to provide one on page 13 and supply
• Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government
Departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the United Kingdom during
the relevant period

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:06 pm

John wrote:
In my case I was asked to bring letters from employers.
Who asked?
Camden NCS. When I booked the appointment they asked me if I had "proof of residence" and I asked if my passport was ok even though it wasn't stamped. So they asked me to bring letters from employers as well. I later called the naturalisation helpline to find out if the letters were really needed, but the person at the other end clearly didn't know the answer.

It could be that Camden NCS were just trying to be careful. Still, it was a real pain to get those letters when I thought I had all the evidence I needed.