ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partner Visa Query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alpacaa
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner Visa Query

Post by alpacaa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 pm

I am a Canadian citizen with a British citizen partner. We are currently looking to apply to the UK Defacto/Unmarried Partner Visa so we can stay together.

Our background is as follows:
@Met in late June 2011 during a trip to the UK, and started dating, and decided to stay until Oct 2011, when I went back to Canada.
@Partner came to visit in Canada for a month in November 2011.
@Tier 5 YMS January 2012 to January 2014.
We have met each other's family, and we have cleared the financial requirements.

Only problem is the proof of living 2+years. We only have utility bills starting March 2012, and thus won't have any concrete evidence during the time prior to it.

I have a few questions regarding our situation:
- Does informal information such as trips taken together, or receipts of delivery would help fill this gap?
- Can I come back in for 3 months as a general visitor after my Tier 5 YMS to fill in the 3 month?
-Is there anything else we can do to ensure

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Re: Unmarried Partner Visa Query

Post by Choc-Ice » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 pm

alpacaa wrote:I am a Canadian citizen with a British citizen partner. We are currently looking to apply to the UK Defacto/Unmarried Partner Visa so we can stay together.

@Met in late June 2011 during a trip to the UK, and started dating, and decided to stay until Oct 2011, when I went back to Canada.
We have met each other's family, and we have cleared the financial requirements.

Only problem is the proof of living 2+years. We only have utility bills starting March 2012, and thus won't have any concrete evidence during the time prior to it.

- Does informal information such as trips taken together, or receipts of delivery would help fill this gap?
- Can I come back in for 3 months as a general visitor after my Tier 5 YMS to fill in the 3 month?

1-You need to have full prove of co-habitation for the whole 2 years..unfortunately trips or receipts wont cover the the gap.They're really strict when it comes to unmarried partners LTR.
2-If you come back as a general visitor after YMS, you wont be able to apply for unmarried partner in country!
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Re: Unmarried Partner Visa Query

Post by Choc-Ice » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 pm

alpacaa wrote:I am a Canadian citizen with a British citizen partner. We are currently looking to apply to the UK Defacto/Unmarried Partner Visa so we can stay together.

1-You need to have full prove of co-habitation for the whole 2 years..unfortunately trips or receipts wont cover the the gap.They're really strict when it comes to unmarried partners LTR.
2-If you come back as a general visitor after YMS, you wont be able to apply for unmarried partner in country!
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 am

It's unlikely that you'll be able to re-enter as a general visitor soon after your YMS has expired. The border officials will not regard you as meeting the requirements as a general visitor if they suspect that your real reason for returning to the UK is to continue your life here.

Choc-Ice is right that the Home Office are strict when it comes to the unmarried partner category, and two years with clear documentation should be thought of as the absolute minimum to qualify. It also has to be two years in a relationship akin to marriage - not simply travelling together or dating.

If you are serious about your relationship my advice would be to get married and apply for FLR (M) before your YMS expires.