ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Singh route and work options

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

greatscott
United Kingdom

Singh route and work options

Post by greatscott » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Just a quick question: I'm a British citizen with non-eh dependants having entered via the Surinder Singh route.

So I have an offer to work overseas (not eu) on a 8 week on/2 week off contract for 6 months?

The offer allows for this to be extended for 2 years (same deal)- will either of these scenario's affect non-eu dependants residency in the mean time?

Many thanks.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 pm

It might do and in particular their ability to claim permanent residence. Will they travel with you? Generally, you can be absent for up to six months per year without affecting their residency or one absence of twelve for important reasons such as work.

How long have you been back in the UK?

greatscott
United Kingdom

Post by greatscott » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:41 am

no I would go alone and return for 2 weeks every 2 months BUT won't risk it if there is any doubt.
uk = 1.5 years.
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:It might do and in particular their ability to claim permanent residence. Will they travel with you? Generally, you can be absent for up to six months per year without affecting their residency or one absence of twelve for important reasons such as work.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 am

greatscott wrote:no I would go alone and return for 2 weeks every 2 months BUT won't risk it if there is any doubt.
uk = 1.5 years.
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:It might do and in particular their ability to claim permanent residence. Will they travel with you? Generally, you can be absent for up to six months per year without affecting their residency or one absence of twelve for important reasons such as work.

You would be keeping a family home in the UK? your main home would be here, with regular returns... I would say that you would still be considered habitually resident. It might be wise to remain UK Tax liable (if thats possible)?
For anybody effected, I hope that my Surinder Singh Route Information Pages help.

greatscott
United Kingdom

Post by greatscott » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:38 pm

wiggsy wrote:
greatscott wrote:no I would go alone and return for 2 weeks every 2 months BUT won't risk it if there is any doubt.
uk = 1.5 years.

You would be keeping a family home in the UK? your main home would be here, with regular returns... I would say that you would still be considered habitually resident. It might be wise to remain UK Tax liable (if thats possible)?
yes thats right- home would be uk with periodic returns worst case once very 8 weeks for 2 weeks over a period of time.

remaining tax liable would be ok if I had to, but thats a big slice.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:14 pm

it depends on where your working ETC, but its possible you could be liable for tax only in the UK. :) there are lots of Tax agreements with countries etc (obviously, its a good thing to look into that etc).

This is information from CSA Guidance, but its UK government issued guidance:
Deciding on Habitual Residence

It is vital to look at each case on its merits because it is the overall picture that is important. Example:

A person who buys a house in another country with the intention of staying there indefinitely, and whose family goes to live with him/her, would probably be classed as habitually resident in that country.

If a client has a home abroad, consideration must be given to whether or not it is a secondary home and to where the main home is.

Consideration should be given to how often the person returns to the UK and the reasons for those returns. The more often a person comes back to the UK the more likely it is that there centre of interest is here and that habitual residence has continued.

1 Langford v Athanassoglou (1948) 2 All ER 722

Although a person's original intention is important, any unforeseen change of circumstances can be taken into account. If a person states an intention to live and work abroad permanently this should normally be accepted. A person states an intention to go abroad on a temporary basis, but then decides to stay away, is also likely to stop being habitually resident in the UK, but the change may be from a later date.

1 Cruse v Chittam (1974) 2 All ER 940; Beck v Scholz(1953) 1 All ER 814;

R v Glossop (1866) LR 1 QB 227

Only a limited account should be taken of the type of home a person lives in. A person may be habitually resident in the UK whether they are living in a house, tent, vehicle or some other sort of home. Similarly, a person may not be habitually resident outside the UK even though he/she lives in owner-occupied property in a foreign country. In such a case, there is no legal right to live in that accommodation.

St Dionis Backchurch v St Leonard Shoreditch (186) LR 1 QB 21;

Hipperson v Electoral Officer (1985) LR All ER 456

Temporary absences should be ignored when considering habitual residence if the person concerned intends to return. Occasional presence should not be regarded as habitual.

1 R v SS Commissioner ex parte Akbar (1981);

Fox v Stirk (1970) 3 All ER 7;

2 Beck v Schotz (1953) 1 All ER 814

To decide whether an absence is temporary, the following should be looked at:

the length of the absence

if and when the absence is likely to end

the purpose of the absence

the intention to return

An absence of more than 12 months should not normally be accepted as temporary unless:

there are special circumstances such as accident which delays the person's return and

there is a reasonable prospect of the absence ending

An absence is not necessarily temporary because it has not lasted 12 months. It may be decided from the start, that an absence is not temporary if the person intends to be away indefinitely or for a set period which is longer than 12 months.

The person's reason for going abroad should help decide whether the absence is temporary. For example, someone going on holiday to visit relatives, or for a course of treatment is likely to be temporarily absent, but someone going to live with relatives abroad is not.

For anybody effected, I hope that my Surinder Singh Route Information Pages help.

greatscott
United Kingdom

Post by greatscott » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks Wiggsy

[quote="wiggsy"]it depends on where your working ETC, but its possible you could be liable for tax only in the UK. :) there are lots of Tax agreements with countries etc (obviously, its a good thing to look into that etc).

This is information from CSA Guidance, but its UK government issued guidance:
[quote]

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Whether you has tax liability in the UK doesn't affect the residence status under the EEA regulations.

The rules are simple as stated above. 6 moths in 12 months. One 12 months period due to an important reason.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 pm

As far as I recall, the immigration regulations simply treat a british citizen as any other EU citizen if they meet the requirements.

Tax agreements and all the rest would be a separate issue.