ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Electoral register and naturalization

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

natques
Newly Registered

Electoral register and naturalization

Post by natques » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi,

Does anybody have any idea of the databases checked to verify address while considering a naturalization application. I was just wondering what the HO would be checking against ? My name on the electoral register shows the my previous addresses, I've moved to my current address a few months back, have not found time to change the electoral register, but have gone ahead and appplied for naturalization. Do you think this will create problems for me ?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:06 pm

I don't think they carry out any such checks. When I moved to London it took me ages to change electoral register, but I didn't have any problems when I applied for naturalisation.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 pm

natques, you are presumably a Commonwealth Citizen or an EU Citizen? I ask that because, if not, why are you on the electoral register at all?

The fact is that many applicants for Naturalisation are not allowed to be on the UK electoral register until their British Citizenship is granted. So for such people, what would there be to check for on the electoral register? Absolutely nothing of course.

In short, you are imagining a problem that simply does not exist.

But separate matter ..... why not get your entry on the electoral register adjusted .... and soon ... to ensure that you get a vote in the May elections, based upon your current address.
John

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 am

John wrote: The fact is that many applicants for Naturalisation are not allowed to be on the UK electoral register until their British Citizenship is granted. So for such people, what would there be to check for on the electoral register? Absolutely nothing of course.
Hope this does not apply to Indian Citizens.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:15 am

first2last4 wrote:
John wrote: The fact is that many applicants for Naturalisation are not allowed to be on the UK electoral register until their British Citizenship is granted. So for such people, what would there be to check for on the electoral register? Absolutely nothing of course.
Hope this does not apply to Indian Citizens.
India is in the Commonwealth, and so Indian citizens who are living in the UK have full voting rights (i.e. they can vote in Westminster elections, elections for the devolved parliaments/assemblies (if relevant), in local elections, and in European elections (and in any referendums that might occur - very rare in the UK)). Commonwealth citizens who live in the UK are required to be on the electoral roll, and - in my view - they ought to take advantage of their right to vote.

natques
Newly Registered

Post by natques » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:20 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks all. I am indeed a citizen of a commonwealth country. Hence my name features in the electoral register. Like I've said, however, it is against the previous address, I am aware that they change their register once a month, so even if I apply for a change now, chances are I won't be in time since I've just applied for naturalization. Hence was worried if my name against the previous address would cause a problem, apparently not.

I've noticed that the passport website does refer to checks against the electoral register as part of the process, before the passport is issued.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:05 pm

natques wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks all. I am indeed a citizen of a commonwealth country. Hence my name features in the electoral register. Like I've said, however, it is against the previous address, I am aware that they change their register once a month, so even if I apply for a change now, chances are I won't be in time since I've just applied for naturalization. Hence was worried if my name against the previous address would cause a problem, apparently not.

I've noticed that the passport website does refer to checks against the electoral register as part of the process, before the passport is issued.
Then why not update your enrolment now? It's unlikely to be checked for naturalisation purposes, but even if it were you could then truthfully say that you've applied to update it. Ditto when the time comes for you to apply for a passport, if you choose to do that after naturalisation.