ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship dilema

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

COOL-DUDE1980
Newly Registered

British Citizenship dilema

Post by COOL-DUDE1980 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi guys,

Im looking for some advice desperately.

Im now eligible to apply for British Naturalisation, however Im worried it might get refused for the following situation.

Im a Malawian national married to british citizen, actually born in London,uk, however my passport has got place of birth as Lilongwe(capital of Malawi) and my dob on passport is 09/06/92 but my uk birth certificate has got 08/06/92 born at 11.15pm.

The error happened due my fathers mistake when I was minor, my uk birth certificate does say mothers usual place of residence as Lilongwe,malawi

Anyways, my tax records, uk driving license and credit card companies have all got my correct DOB as we used Uk birth cerfticate.

my question is if we apply for naturalisation, when Home office do their checks, will the slight discrepancy in DOB show up??

Ive already contacted Malawian embassy in uk to rectify the mistake, unfortunately they responded by saying as the mistake was done in Malawi, it can only get rectified over there and they cant help us from here.

Im really stressed out and don't know whether I should apply or refrain.
should I apply using my correct DOB and explain the mix up in recording of my dob and place of birth in my Malawian passport.

my parents who are also Malawian nationals are on limited leave to remain, so im applying on my merit, and the mistake as not been material to grant of any leave.Its a genuine mistake by my father when I was a minor.

Please please anyone can advice I would appreciate it.

thanks all in advance.

VR

2 cents

Post by VR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:20 am

After looking at the situation I do not thing the wrong dob due to an error by the Malawian embassy should not be a ground for refusal.

If you meet all the requirements submit all the documents especially the following;

a)Birth Certificate
b)Driving Licence
c)The response from the Malawian Embassy
d)Tax Records (P60 etc)
Also explain the situation on THE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION NOT COVERED IN OTHER SECTIONS page.

You should be fine. (If you apply through NCS, they will certify all the above documents and return the originals to you).
cheers
vr

COOL-DUDE1980
Newly Registered

Post by COOL-DUDE1980 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 pm

VR, thank you've much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I've got all the documents you mentioned apart from C, response from the Malawian embassy in writing as I was given the response over the phone, should that matter???

COOL-DUDE1980
Newly Registered

Post by COOL-DUDE1980 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Response wasn't given given in writing, I was given over the phone,

VR

Can you get a letter from someone in the embassy

Post by VR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Maybe you should explain to them the problem and try and get a letter stating that the correction of the error needs to be done in Malawi. Give it a go. If you manage it will be more than enough. Even otherwise I think you stand a good chance.
cheers
vr

COOL-DUDE1980
Newly Registered

Post by COOL-DUDE1980 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Thank you VR, you've been a great help

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 am

You say you were born in the United Kingdom. If that's the case, are you applying for naturalisation or registration, based on spending the first 10 years of your life in the United Kingdom.

If you are applying for registration, using Form T, you do not need to show a passport or any immigration stamps. In fact, you don't need to have a passport in the first place. If your Malawi passport has incorrect details, you should not try to use it.

Or did you go back to Malawi and then later on return to the United Kingdom as an immigrant?

COOL-DUDE1980
Newly Registered

Post by COOL-DUDE1980 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am

JAJ,

I didn't spend first 10 years in UK, I came back to UK when I was 11 years old, I was born here but went back after birth, so I guess the first option with regards to registration doesn't apply to me.

Having incorrect details in my passport doesn't help me, but if I applied without mentioning my true dob or place of birth, will that cause a problem??will it flag up with discrepancy if home office do their checks for naturalisation.

The only thing I think is in my favour I when my father made a mistake I was minor, and the mistake wasn't done by me.

I recently requested my SARS file from UKBA and they have a record of both of my dob and place of birth in file, this is because when my father applied for further leave as his dependent in 2007 before I was married, he submitted my UK birth certificate too with my passport with the application, so I guess there is no element of deception involved and having incorrect details has not been material to any grant of leave.

Do you think I stand a good chance if I open all can of worms and be truthful or am I digging a bigger hole or worse scenario, refrain from applying for naturalisation, as they can even revoke my ILR if treat it as deception. UKBA does make strange decisions after all

Mamad786
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizenship dilema

Post by Mamad786 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:51 am

I seem to be in the same problem, have you managed to resolve this problem?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship dilema

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Mamad786 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:51 am
I seem to be in the same problem, have you managed to resolve this problem?
OP has been last on in 2015, thread goes back to 2013. Best to start your own thread with explaining your own circumstances.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.