ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

residential qualifying period for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Keyrun

residential qualifying period for naturalisation

Post by Keyrun » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi,

Looks like there is contradiction in the naturalisation requirements and qualifying period

Req1
Requirement says
been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
Req2
and qualifying period instructions are
If you have spent time in the UK while you were exempt from immigration control, you cannot include this time as part of the residential qualifying period
I have been resident in this country for more than 5 years and got my ILR in March 2012. I have got my NCS appointment on 17th Oct. According to Req1 I meet the requirement but according to Req2 I dont as the ILR comes under exempt from immigration control catagory.

Can you someone please clarify this please. I may have read the requirements too many time in a bid to understand clearly but got tangled in the confusion.

Many thanks for the help

Regards,
Kay

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm

If you have spent time in the UK while you were exempt from immigration control, you cannot include this time as part of the residential qualifying period

[/b]

this refers to foreign dimplomats such as ministers and foreign embassy staff in the uk cause foreign posts are expemt from immigration control & time spent under these posts dont count towards residential qual period

Stay in uk 5 years plus 1 year on ilr = Eligible
stay in uk 3 years plus married to BC + ILR = Eligible ( No need to wait 1 year)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm

ILR comes under exempt from immigration control catagory
This is not true ILR is free from immigration control not exempt.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Keyrun

Post by Keyrun » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi njoy1987 and D4109125,

Thanks for your quick responses; that puts an end to my confusion. Appreciate it.

Regards, Kay

k1100879
Newly Registered

Re: residential qualifying period for naturalisation

Post by k1100879 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi, I came to the UK in 2000 and applied for asylum. In 2006 I exhausted all my appeal rights and was asked to go back home by the Home Office. But I could not go back. In May, 2010 I was given ILR under the old cases clearance scheme. Since then I have traveled abroad twice for less than a month. The last time I was abroad was in 2012 for only a week. I have also completed a Bsc Degree in a London University plus passing the Life in UK Test. Do I qualify to apply for naturalization now or I have to wait till next year May 2015 when I have had the ILR for 5 yrs to apply..thx

k1100879
Newly Registered

Post by k1100879 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:37 pm

My two children 18 and 20 yrs were given UK settlement visas to come and live with me in March 2012. When do they qualify for naturalization?. Do they have to wait for 5yrs that is till March 2017 to meet the residential qualifying period requirement period to apply to become naturalized?...Thnx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:26 pm

You will need to wait until you have 5 years residence legal stay. Your UK degree will meet the English requirement.

Do your children have ILR?

Your children, because they are over 18, will need to have 5 years residence which must include ILR for 12 months before applying for naturalisation.

LIUK and English Language required for children over 18.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.