ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about citizenship through a parent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dk3841
Newly Registered

Question about citizenship through a parent

Post by dk3841 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 am

My grandmother and my mother moved to the UK in 1978, both having been born in Colombia and being Colombian nationals. My grandmother married a British man in 1978 and gained and has since then held British citizenship. My mother has only had settled status since then. Could she now claim British citizenship through my grandmother?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 am

No. Acquiring citizenship by a parent doesn't automatically make existing children citizens as well. An application for citizenship is required to be made.

She can probably apply for naturalisation based on the current status (assuming she is still living in the UK).

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Please continue in your other thread
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.