ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reuniting our family

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sure-as
Newly Registered

Reuniting our family

Post by Sure-as » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:39 am

I’m British & born in the UK (my parents are both British)… my Wife is South African (both her parents South African)

I met my future wife in the UK five years ago whilst she was staying here on a Working holiday VISA… we quickly fell in love & I decided to try immigrating to South Africa. We married in South Africa & we lived there for eighteen months together. Eventually we decided that for financial reasons it would be better if we returned to the UK.

I went first to set up work & home leaving South Africa in October 2010. It took many twists & turns & an appeal at a tribunal but finally my wife got her settlement VISA (which lasts till 2015) to join me in July of this year.

However July also saw the birth of our Son so she still remains in South Africa looking after him. Whilst I’m still in the UK supporting them.

We’ve had loads of contradictory advice about how to reunite our family… we’ve had people say we should apply for a travel visa for him. Others say he needs to be registered as a British citizen.

Either way seems complex; I mean in terms of registration where can my Wife find two professional UK passport holders who know our newborn son personally as referees? With a travel VISA I have to prove a £23k income but it costs more for me to support two family homes in two countries than it would one in one country?

Anybody have any advice on what would be the simplest way of reuniting our family?
Last edited by Sure-as on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Where were you born?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sure-as
Newly Registered

Post by Sure-as » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm

vinny wrote:Where were you born?
I've added that to the first post... I was born in the UK

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Then your child is automatically a British citizen by descent (2(1)(a)).

He may apply for either British passport or a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Sure-as
Newly Registered

Post by Sure-as » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:04 pm

snipped
Last edited by Sure-as on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes.

Sure-as
Newly Registered

Post by Sure-as » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 pm

vinny wrote:Yes.
Well thank you... that is a lot simpler!

Sure-as
Newly Registered

Post by Sure-as » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Well, following this boards advice, things seem to be going relatively well... the passport application is being processed.

However now they're asking for a DNA test to prove I'm my Son's father... it appears they didn't read our application or supporting documentation correctly as they're asking for me to take a DNA test in Pretoria (R558 apparently).

All attempts at communication have failed... emails ignored, expensive phone calls lost in endless 'you're on hold' & 'please try again later' messages.

Where & how do I conduct this DNA test? With me in the UK & my Son in South Africa? Do I arrange another flight over there?