ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HOT NEWS: HSMP: Many UK Indians face deportation !!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Reshma

HOT NEWS: HSMP: Many UK Indians face deportation !!!

Post by Reshma » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:18 am

See this news in Times of India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Many ... 829904.cms

Many UK Indians face deportation

LONDON: Britain has issued deportation orders to Indian IIM alumni and engineers working here on visas obtained under the Highly-Skilled Migrants Programme (HSMP).

The Indians, who hold doctorates and post-graduate degrees from prestigious institutions such as the IIM, have been told that they must leave the UK voluntarily or face enforced removal to India.

On Thursday, some of the Indians facing deportation said they were devastated at being treated like common criminals. Dr S Ghosh (PhD), an engineer who was the assistant professor at Bahrain University, said: “What a situation to be in! On the verge of being kicked out of the country after being made to sign a declaration that Britain would be my new home and after taking all reasonable steps to fulfill my commitment to do so.â€

aj_sp_007
Member of Standing

Post by aj_sp_007 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:29 am

this one in rediff.com

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/mar/29uk.htm

High-skilled Indians face deportation from UK

H S Rao in London
March 29, 2007 18:41 IST

The threat of deportation is looming large over a number of Indians holding Highly Skilled Migrants Programme visas in the UK as they find it difficult to get their travel permit renewed as a sequel to changes effected by the British Government to its entry rules.

Under the Highly-Skilled Migrant Programme, the highly skilled Indians were welcomed into this country on the promise that they would qualify for permanent status within a few years.

But in November last, the Home Office abruptly made the visa extension rules tougher.

Now "ninety per cent of the 49,000 HSMP holders, mostly Indians do not qualify for further leave to remain in the UK," Amit Kapadia, director and coordinator of HSMP Forum told PTI on Thursady.

As per the new rules, the UK government is emphasising more on younger age and higher salaries of the individuals.

Kapadia said after the changes implemented with retrospective effect, HSMP visa holders are being asked to re-qualify for their visa extension through an "unfair points based system rather than initial promise of extension on economic activity alone."

The case of Dr George Joseph, who came here under the HSMP scheme in December 2005, and settled in Southampton, reflects the plight of most of the HSMP visa holders.

Joseph was working in the Middle East in the government sector before coming to the UK. He was well settled there having reached a senior level in his career.

As per the rules that were in vogue at that time "there was not much problem in getting the renewal of visa after one year as I have been economically active," he said.

"I heard that there was a shortage of science graduates in UK and we also thought about the good educational opportunities our children are going to get in the UK," Joseph said.

"Once I started applying for jobs, most of the companies were not willing to give me a responsible permanent job as my visa was valid for a period of less than one year. They have got long-term projects in the scientific industries because of which I had to manage with contract jobs where the pay package has not been very good."

Joseph's application for a visa extension was refused on February 28, 2007 and was told in writing, "You no longer have any right to stay in the United Kingdom and...you must leave as soon as possible. If you do not leave the UK voluntarily, you will be removed to India."

Joseph has now made an appeal against refusal of visa extension and a decision is expected in the next 45 days to two months.

Another striking case is that of Debansu Das, who did his MBA from the Indian Institute of Management and fell short of points for getting further extension of his visa.

"It's not easy for Asians to get into high profiled jobs in UK with higher salaries especially with a limited leave to remain. I don't qualify for further extension due to this retrospective change in rules because of which I am in line for a possible refusal of extension and hence deportation."
________
Medical marijuana card
Last edited by aj_sp_007 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dokwal
BANNED

Post by dokwal » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:35 pm

No need to go out

let them come to your residence, I am sure these are just jackals barking that they will remove

we r really in a sorry state due to these foolish polices

I really feel a cheted after reading such painful stories

MSI GEEK

Post by MSI GEEK » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:22 am

As per HSMP guidance:

"You must be willing and able to make the United Kingdom your main home

If you are successful in your HSMP application, and apply for leave to enter or remain, we will ask you to provide a written undertaking that you intend to make the UK your country of habitual residence".

HSMP should lead to ILR. Otherwise, the above mentioned does not hold true.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Now "ninety per cent of the 49,000 HSMP holders, mostly Indians do not qualify for further leave to remain in the UK," Amit Kapadia, director and coordinator of HSMP Forum told PTI on Thursady.
This is clearly the basis of the whole article, but is it true? On what basis has it been calculated that 90% "do not qualify for further leave to remain in the UK"?

Whilst not trying to suggest that there is not a problem, I simply don't believe that anything like 90% would not qualify for an HSMP extension or be able to successfully switch to a Work Permit.
John

gaurav

Post by gaurav » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:42 pm

what a shame they are providing amnesty and deporting highly sklilled migrants, see link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... rtComments

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:53 am

Since when does anyone give any credence to the Daily Mail on asylum and immigration matters?
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 am

John wrote:Since when does anyone give any credence to the Daily Mail on asylum and immigration matters?
I was going to post the same... People get don't take a moment to analyse the situation and understand if the article(s) posted on certain website are actually are true.

There is no official statement from the govt. regarding this and IF they declare they are going to provide amnesty. then they are definitely going to loose the elections.
Last edited by olisun on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 am

John wrote:
This is clearly the basis of the whole article, but is it true? On what basis has it been calculated that 90% "do not qualify for further leave to remain in the UK"?

Whilst not trying to suggest that there is not a problem, I simply don't believe that anything like 90% would not qualify for an HSMP extension or be able to successfully switch to a Work Permit.
The HSMP forum has been issuing some statements to the press without proper proof to back it up...

The above statment will unnecessarily create panic amongst the HSMP candidates who actually do not check how true that is and react unnecessarily.

Previously the HSMP forum made a statement that the Biritish govt. is dearly beloved and has only targeted the Indian community.But if you see the article on the workpermit.com, an New Zealander's extension has been refused hence I fail to understand how the govt. has been dearly beloved in this particular case.

I wonder if issuing such statements to the press is going to help their cause or make their lives even more difficult.

victorind

re:

Post by victorind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:13 pm

90 % of 49,000 as i understand is a projection as same as what home office says that majority of HSMP holders will qualify for further extension which again is a projection.

To know the clear statistics Home Office should send SMS messages or post letters or email all HSMP holders informing them about Nov 2006 changes which took place.

Also the beloved claims were not made by HSMP forum initially but was quoted by joint council for welfare of immigrants who says the new rules indirectly discriminates ethnic minorities and people from Non EEA countries.

HSMP forum recently held a meeting with Commission for facial Equality (CRE) to complaint on the discriminatory new rules. CRE wrote to Immigration and Nationality Directorate informing them the following;

The Commission (CRE) is of the opinion that this proposed policy will be relevant to the Duty, i.e., that it has relevance to race equality. We are particularly concerned about a number of elements within the changes:

We are concerned that the new measures will result in indirect discrimination against ethnic minorities in the workplace. The majority of people currently in the UK through the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme are from South Asia, Africa and non-EEA countries.

CRE while referring to a research report produced by Department of Works and Pensions further indicated ethnic minority individuals’ from ….Asian and African countries ….still experience significant ethnic penalties in gaining access to professional and managerial jobs, than equally-qualified whites of the same age.

CRE further stated “The report also provides evidence that all the ethnic groups earn less than comparably qualified whites. Criteria for extension and settlement under the Highly Skilled category now demands a high level of income that could only be achieved through access to such professional and managerial jobs, therefore indirectly discriminating against those members of the HSMP suffering the ethnic penalty.

• The CRE has been contacted by the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme Forum, which accuses the Home Office of failing to consult on the changes, and formulate appropriate transitional arrangements in respect of existing HSMP membersâ€
Last edited by victorind on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victorind

Re: re:

Post by victorind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:27 pm

Please keep in mind majority of the affected people are from Asian and African countries and there are very less number of people affected from Australia, New Zealand etc., so the below comments by commission for facial equality highlights on the reasons.

[quote="victorind"]90 % of 49,000 as i understand is a projection as same as what home office says that majority of HSMP holders will qualify for further extension which again is a projection.

To know the clear statistics Home Office should send SMS messages or post letters or email all HSMP holders informing them about Nov 2006 changes which took place.

Also the beloved claims were not made by HSMP forum initially but was quoted by joint council for welfare of immigrants who says the new rules indirectly discriminates ethnic minorities and people from Non EEA countries.

HSMP forum recently held a meeting with Commission for facial Equality (CRE) to complaint on the discriminatory new rules. CRE wrote to Immigration and Nationality Directorate informing them the following;

The Commission (CRE) is of the opinion that this proposed policy will be relevant to the Duty, i.e., that it has relevance to race equality. We are particularly concerned about a number of elements within the changes:

We are concerned that the new measures will result in indirect discrimination against ethnic minorities in the workplace. The majority of people currently in the UK through the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme are from South Asia, Africa and non-EEA countries.

CRE while referring to a research report produced by Department of Works and Pensions further indicated ethnic minority individuals’ from ….Asian and African countries ….still experience significant ethnic penalties in gaining access to professional and managerial jobs, than equally-qualified whites of the same age.

CRE further stated “The report also provides evidence that all the ethnic groups earn less than comparably qualified whites. Criteria for extension and settlement under the Highly Skilled category now demands a high level of income that could only be achieved through access to such professional and managerial jobs, therefore indirectly discriminating against those members of the HSMP suffering the ethnic penalty.

• The CRE has been contacted by the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme Forum, which accuses the Home Office of failing to consult on the changes, and formulate appropriate transitional arrangements in respect of existing HSMP membersâ€

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:23 pm

90 % of 49,000 as i understand is a projection as same as what home office says that majority of HSMP holders will qualify for further extension which again is a projection.
OK, it is a projection ...... the basis of that projection?
John

victorind

re:

Post by victorind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:46 pm

Basis of which projection home office's ? As per 90% is concerned it can be a projection based on the fact that majority approx 80% are from Asian and African countries and other non EEA countries (as per hansard publications) for which an estimation is enough.
John wrote:

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm

victorind wrote:Basis of which projection home office's ?
John wrote:
Why didn't you ask the HO where did they got the projection from?

Where did you get the 49,000 figure from?

What makes you say that the majority (90%) will NOT qualify for further extension??

Did the HO give any figures like the 49,000 you have mentioned in your post and say that 90% of out of 49,000 WILL qualify for extension?

Or are you JUST making a statement opposite of what the HO has made with some figure thrown in for free?
Last edited by olisun on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victorind

Post by victorind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:01 pm

whom are you talking to ??
olisun wrote:
John wrote:
Why didn't you ask the HO where did they get the projection from?

What makes you say that the majority (90%) will NOT qualify for further extension??

Did the HO give any figures like the 49,000 you have mentioned in your post and say that 90% of out of 49,000 WILL qualify for extension?

Or are you JUST making a statement opposite of what the HO has made with some figure thrown in for free?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:02 pm

victorind wrote:whom are you talking to ??
olisun wrote:
John wrote:
Why didn't you ask the HO where did they get the projection from?

You, Can't you see the OUTER quote?

victorind

Post by victorind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:25 pm

check the below document..

Click here

After that you can make your self estimations. All the best.
olisun wrote:
John wrote:
Why didn't you ask the HO where did they got the projection from?

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:08 am

Since when does anyone give any credence to the Daily Mail on asylum and immigration matters?

I am afraid that the anti- immigrant ranting from Daily Mail, Sun, Daily Express has had a strong impact on a large section of British population who club all immigrants unser the same yardstick. It is this anti-immigration wave which made the government target and deport HSMP holders to appease their voters to show that they are "tough" on immigration. [/quote]

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 am

[quote="]Since when does anyone give any credence to the Daily Mail on asylum and immigration matters?[quote=]

I am afraid that the anti- immigrant ranting from Daily Mail, Sun, Daily Express has had a strong impact on a large section of British population who club all immigrants unser the same yardstick. It is this anti-immigration wave which made the government target and deport HSMP holders to appease their voters to show that they are "tough" on immigration. [/quote]

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:24 am

I just get the feeling that some people have just not thought through the comments that they are actually making! Are people really saying that those previously granted HSMP are of such a low skill level that 90% no longer qualify?

I for one think that HSMP people in the UK are highly intelligent, and only a small proportion would struggle to get an HSMP extension, or a WP.

Or are those claiming that 90% will fail really saying that they will fail because of low skill levels or even low intelligence?
John

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 am

People not qualifying under the new points are not necesarily of low intelligence, but in many industries, employers hesitate to give a highly paid job to somone with limited leave hence many HSMP holders fail to meet the £33000 threshold despite doing a managerial job in their industry.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:04 am

Rog wrote:People not qualifying under the new points are not necesarily of low intelligence, but in many industries, employers hesitate to give a highly paid job to somone with limited leave hence many HSMP holders fail to meet the £33000 threshold despite doing a managerial job in their industry.
So you are saying that the 90% figure is right?

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:30 am

Olison, you are jumping to conclusions. If you read my post it says "many" HSMP holders. I have not commented on any figure as it is impossible to quantify. The point I was making here was not about the % figure but about the fact that if a large no of HSMP holders do not meet the threshold it is not due to their low intelligence but factors beyond their control.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:48 am

Rog wrote:Olison, you are jumping to conclusions. If you read my post it says "many" HSMP holders. I have not commented on any figure as it is impossible to quantify. The point I was making here was not about the % figure but about the fact that if a large no of HSMP holders do not meet the threshold it is not due to their low intelligence but factors beyond their control.
FYI I am not jumping conclusions but simply relating your reply to John's comment / questions, which was a direct question to the 90% figure as quoted in the press release.

karupalli

Very sad

Post by karupalli » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:39 am

I am really very sad to see we people are fighting with each other. May be HSMP forum is trying to make figures big as they want to get justice. May be they want to show to everybody that imact is more. Same way as HO is trying to show that imact is very less.

Anyway it is very sad to see the moderator's comments that people will not qualify are with low intelligence. Everything depends on circumstances really. HO changed the rules so sudden and people can not achieve points given the notice. May be they would have considered alternative job if they knew the new rules from begining. If somebody really likes HO's idea, they must be already citizens here and relaxed not the HSMP holder.

If all HSMP holders knows these new rules before, I am sure some HSMP girls would have considered night club career (for earning more money) rather than settling for accounting career.