ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nitinkumar
Newly Registered

English Language requirement

Post by nitinkumar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:32 am

Hello
Just wanted to clarify about the English requirement. My wife is applying for Naturalisation in Oct.( 3 year residency requirement as spouse of British citizen) She had given LIUK test in Feb2011 at the time of applying for ILR for both of us. She also has an IELTS from 2009 with Band Score of 7. She also has a letter from Medical college in India certifying that her undergraduate MBBS degree was in English.

Based on above can she apply without having to give new test for requirement. Her appointment for NCS is for 25th Oct?

Thanks for help

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am

Providing the IELTS is valid. If not, a NARIC statement of comparability for her MB BS will be required.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

nitinkumar
Newly Registered

Post by nitinkumar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 pm

IELTS was only valid for 2 years so expired in 2011.

The new regulations quote

Pass certificates issued for tests taken before 25 March
Pass certificates issued for tests taken before 25 March will continue to be accepted after 28 October 2013. Individuals who passed the test based on the previous handbook will not be expected to take the revised test, even if they apply for settlement or naturalisation on or after 28 October 2013.

Does this cover her LIUK from Feb 2011?

Not sure whether MBBS is covered with NARIC. She has given and cleared PLAB exam. She has been working in the NHS for last 1 year.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:39 pm

LIUK remains valid. Check the PBS calculator and see if 10 points are awarded for her MB BS.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

nitinkumar
Newly Registered

Post by nitinkumar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I am sorry but could you clarify why I need to look up PBS calculator in this matter when the application is for british citizenship. I am also a doctor and did not have to get NARIC equivalent ever. We gave PLAB exams for the same. If LIUK is valid then I think there should be no need for any additional qualifications. Also the guidance mentions that if you have achieved Ebglish qualifications equivalent to level B1 then you should not repeat it

I am attaching the link here and would be grateful if someone could verify this information and my circumstances

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:40 pm

That's correct if you met B1 for entry clearance, thus, 10 points on the PBS calculator.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to barge in to the discussion, I am applying for naturalization in mid-December, and am concerned about this new requirement too.

Both me and my dependent wife have degrees which figure in the points based calculator and score 30 points each, is a printout of that combined with our original degrees enough evidence, or do we have to either:

a) Take the IELTS test again
b) Get our degrees certified by NARIC

Thanks for inputs.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Anyone have any inputs please?

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:57 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Anyone have any inputs please?
hello inUKonILR, long time no see.

I am also waiting for a definitive answer on this one.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi wpilr_nov12,

Long time no see indeed.

Hope to have an answer soon, else I will have to either book an IELTS test or contact naric.

You in the same boat?

Regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 am

If you satisfied a B1 requirement for your PBS applications (received points for English) then that should suffice, if not then NARIC comparability.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks D4109125, so I was the main applicant for both my HSMP and Tier-1 extension application, my wife was a dependant.

So I guess I can get away with my PBS application details, but she will have to get her degree certified from NARIC.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 pm

would there have been a language requirement for WP visa (dec 2007)?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

kishor_mit

Re: English Language requirement

Post by kishor_mit » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 am

hi amber,

Inline with above query, please clarify on the following.

Me and my wife passed LIUK exam on Oct 2012. I believe these tests are still valid for Naturalisation in Sept 2014.

For English language requirement; if me and my wife submit our post graduation degree certificates along with PBS calculator printouts with score; would that be sufficient to prove the eligibility? I have a letter from the University for medium of instruction but my wife doesn't have one!

Please advise.

Regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:28 am

Yes and yes, insofar as at least 20 points are awarded for qualification and 10 for English Skills.

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Thank you Amber.

northstar212
Newly Registered

Post by northstar212 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:05 am

nitinkumar wrote:Hello
Just wanted to clarify about the English requirement. My wife is applying for Naturalisation in Oct.( 3 year residency requirement as spouse of British citizen) She had given LIUK test in Feb2011 at the time of applying for ILR for both of us. She also has an IELTS from 2009 with Band Score of 7. She also has a letter from Medical college in India certifying that her undergraduate MBBS degree was in English.

Based on above can she apply without having to give new test for requirement. Her appointment for NCS is for 25th Oct?

Thanks for help
No need for new tests. Those english(even expired) and LIUK you did before are ok!

GauravB
Newly Registered

Post by GauravB » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi All,

I have applie for Naturalisation two days ago. The NCS people raised a concern over my English Language qualifications.

I gave them print out of PointBased calculator in which I was given 35 points for Masters Degree for Qualification requirement and 10 points for my Post Graduation Diploma for English requirement.

But it did not give 10 points for my masters/bachelors degree in english requirement section. instead it did for PostGraduation Diploma as mentioned above.

NCS was saying that I need to submit a letter from UK NARIC. But I asked them to forward the application on my risk.

Please note I have been granted Tier 1 in 2009 and ILR last year in 2013 based on the same qualifications.

Can anyone please confrim if it is ok?
Do I need to clear English Exam ? Is Home Office likely to come back asking me about english/qualification requirement?

Thanks in advance

Gaurav

vivdubes

Post by vivdubes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 pm

I guess wait for HO to come back, they normally would ask you for more information if they are in doubt. There are few members in this forum where the HO have asked to send more information about their English capabilities. I guess if there is anomaly they would come back. Hope you don't have that situation.. good luck

ammu28

Post by ammu28 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi Gaurav
Mine is similar to your case. I have applied on 6th May througjh Newcastle NCS. They have asked me to apply for NARIC certificate since my Post graduate certificate is from India. I have provided Original certificate and printout of PBS calculator. NCS told homeoffice will not reject the application but might ask for NARIC. I have not applied for NARIC yet and waiting for a decision. Fingers crossed.
Regards
Ammu

kishor_mit

Urgent - English Language requirement - please help

Post by kishor_mit » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Apologies if this sound a repeated question. I'm bit confused with English language requirement! Those who were in a similar situation, kindly share your approach to this.

So far I've been using my Bachelor Degree for English Language requirement for Tier1 and ILR (with a Degree Certificate and a Letter from the University). But now this qualification doesn't give 20 or more points on the Points Based Calculator and I've not applied for UK NARIC comparability and ELA. Even if I apply now it is going to takes two weeks to get the documents from NARIC.

But, my appointment with NCS is booked for next week. Could I use my Master's Degree for English language assessment? It scores 35 on points based calculator and I've its final certificate and a letter from the University.

Appreciate very much for your quick response.

vivdubes

Post by vivdubes » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes why not ? :D

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks a lot vivdubes :)

jimmybhathena
Newly Registered

Post by jimmybhathena » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi

Please read my post that I have put on another thread about my current and ongoing experience.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... t#p1079196

Hope this helps.

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 am

thanks a lot for sharing it, jimmybhathena.