ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA national - dependent parents

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alyxzandra
Newly Registered

EEA national - dependent parents

Post by alyxzandra » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I need some advice. I wish to bring my mother and stepfather to live with me. I originally came here as the wife of an EEA national in 1999 and was given indefinite leave to remain in 2004. However, I am in the process of getting my passport from an EU country as my father was born in one. The passport is already in process. Thus, any applications made will be as a dependent of an EEA national.

My mother is a double amputee who is very sick. She has been with my stepdad for 26 years and he is not in good health. Financially, without my help, they would not have a roof over their head and I have been sending them money for essentials such as medication, travel for my mother's dialysis and pay for some of their bills. My mother gets some money from her retirement, but that is all they have and it is not enough to pay for everything. If I was not able to send the money then that would be it for them. My stepdad is her full time carer and due to his age and back problems he is having trouble caring for her. There are no other relatives in the country as my mother, myself and my grandmother were only children.

I am now married to a British citizen and we have a child. I have worked since 2001 and own my home. My home is on the ground floor and was originally used for people who were wheelchair bound or had mobility problems. We will be cramped when they arrive, but the plan is to rent my home out and we will rent a larger place for all of us. I can easily show how often I speak to my mother and the money I send each month. I last saw her in February 2012, but used to travel often to visit.

I know I will be a qualified EEA national and can easily satisfy the financial dependency. My main question is about my stepfather. Would they just consider my mother for the family permit or for my stepfather and mother together?

I have looked all over and tried to find this information, but there is nothing out there!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Well it is not clear cut that your step father will be considered under Regulation 7, but he could qualify under Regulation 8. Given the strength under Regulation 7 of your mother's claim, that could add weight to his.

If however your secured British Citizenship, then your parents will not be able to avail themselves of the EEA regulation.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

alyxzandra
Newly Registered

Post by alyxzandra » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:51 am

Thank you, Obie. I will be going down the EEA national route as I do not have UK citizenship. I will be a dual national of US/Greek citizenship. I also believe as I have worked since 2001 and have permanent right of residency I would be exercising treaty rights. It was mainly about my stepdad as I want him here, as well. And he has been my stepdad since I was a teenager. As for my father, he would not be a problem as he is a dual US/Greek national.