ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Euros limit?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Euros limit?

Post by masterboy123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:25 pm

What's the limit to bring Euros from a foreign country to Ireland?

Is it safe to have cash at home in Dublin? or should we open a bank account ASAP and keep all the money there?

Any advice what denomination of euros to bring with ourself? or any other good ways to pay in the beginning?

I checked with my bank, the ATM withdrawl will cost 9 euros per transaction. Any cheaper way?
Thanks

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Your post is not conclusive, what are you bringing the money to Ireland for? I think cash limit is 10,000 euros, denomination doesn't matter, to be safe, why not come to Ireland, open a bank account, transfer your funds from your oversee bank to Ireland, pretty quick to arrive this days

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:38 pm

From India.

Ok thanks, what documents do I need to open bank account? AIB bank is good enough?
dalebutt wrote:Your post is not conclusive, what are you bringing the money to Ireland for? I think cash limit is 10,000 euros, denomination doesn't matter, to be safe, why not come to Ireland, open a bank account, transfer your funds from your oversee bank to Ireland, pretty quick to arrive this days

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:53 pm

masterboy123 wrote:From India.

Ok thanks, what documents do I need to open bank account? AIB bank is good enough?
dalebutt wrote:Your post is not conclusive, what are you bringing the money to Ireland for? I think cash limit is 10,000 euros, denomination doesn't matter, to be safe, why not come to Ireland, open a bank account, transfer your funds from your oversee bank to Ireland, pretty quick to arrive this days
AIB is a good bank, you will need proof of address and your passport, if you do not have a proof of address they might accept a letter from someone you will be staying with along with a proof of address of their name.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Do NOT keep large sums of cash at home in Ireland!!. You will be renting accommodation, about 100 people will have keys (past tenants).

As stated above, open an Irish bank account, transfer your money to it and then withdraw it as normal in Ireland. You will need an Irish bank account anyway as most employers prefer to pay into a bank.

You can reduce costs by opening a joint bank account, you and your wife, so you only pay charges for one account and both can have pay deposited in that account.
BL

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks Brigid From ireland.

How long does it take to get a debit card issued by the bank?

Also, are there many centers to apply for PPS in Dublin or just one in each county?
Brigid from Ireland wrote:Do NOT keep large sums of cash at home in Ireland!!. You will be renting accommodation, about 100 people will have keys (past tenants).

As stated above, open an Irish bank account, transfer your money to it and then withdraw it as normal in Ireland. You will need an Irish bank account anyway as most employers prefer to pay into a bank.

You can reduce costs by opening a joint bank account, you and your wife, so you only pay charges for one account and both can have pay deposited in that account.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:07 pm

The card from the bank should take about two weeks (one week for card to be posted to you, another week for pin number to be posted separately to you).

I think there are a few pps centres in Dublin, some counties probably have none. It might be best to email welfare to ask the best place in Dublin - ask for city centre office if possible, as all buses go to city centre, so it is easier to find city centre office if you are new to Dublin. You will need an address and proof of address ( a letter to you which was sent to that address) as the pps number will be posted to your address.
BL

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks. I will check with welfare dept.

I will have only rental contract with my name and address.
How can I get a letter on that address? Isn't the rental contract enough?

Thanks
Brigid from Ireland wrote:The card from the bank should take about two weeks (one week for card to be posted to you, another week for pin number to be posted separately to you).

I think there are a few pps centres in Dublin, some counties probably have none. It might be best to email welfare to ask the best place in Dublin - ask for city centre office if possible, as all buses go to city centre, so it is easier to find city centre office if you are new to Dublin. You will need an address and proof of address ( a letter to you which was sent to that address) as the pps number will be posted to your address.