ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Singh route via Ireland - question about FP vs Stamp 1A

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LS67
Newly Registered

Singh route via Ireland - question about FP vs Stamp 1A

Post by LS67 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Hello-

This site has been a great resource so far - first post for something I couldn't find in my research...

Questions about using Singh via Ireland for spousal sponsorship (UK citizen sponsoring US spouse)-

When we return to the UK, my understanding is that you can either apply for the Family Permit in advance, or show up at the UK border with pretty much the same docs as you would submit for FP and request a Stamp 1A.

I think most recommend getting the FP to avoid any hassles/delays at border: but let's say we decide to go the Stamp 1A route - what if there is no border control?

Our experience has been that there is often no border control at the ferry crossing. For sure if we return via an NI ferry (which is the logistically more convenient route for us). We made a brief trip back to the UK during the summer, and did not encounter immigration control in either direction (in fact, ditto on our initial entry to Ireland in Rosslare).

Will having no formal entry back to the UK create any issues for the EEA2 app and/or my status in the UK prior to applying for EEA2?

BTW- we are self-employed (both in ROI & UK), and I don't need any docs for employment. I'm pretty confident the rest of my app is solid, knock on wood. Married a long time (with British kids), wife/sponsor's self-employment is solid with a variety of ROI documentation, can easily prove joint residency in ROI.

Thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am

Lack of entry stamp has no affect on the Residence Card application (EEA2). The advantage of applying for EEA FP is that it gives you confidence before returning home that the documents and activities you have done in Ireland are good enough for SS.

Graham Weifang
Mood:
China

Post by Graham Weifang » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am

Most defiantly go for the EU-FP.
Don't rely on the UKBA at the border to have even heard of "Singh"
Or at least they play dumb, (or are they really dumb) ?

GW

LS67
Newly Registered

Post by LS67 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Graham Weifang wrote:Most defiantly go for the EU-FP.
Don't rely on the UKBA at the border to have even heard of "Singh"
Or at least they play dumb, (or are they really dumb) ?

GW
Graham- if we enter on a Northern Ireland ferry, there won't be any border control at all. Its actually the most convenient route for us- but was worried it might create issues without any formal entry...

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 pm

It is possible to apply for a residence card without having first obtained a family permit.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 pm

[quote="EUsmileWEallsmile"]It is possible to apply for a residence card without having first obtained a family permit.[/quote]

If we arrive at London Gatwick on a flight from Belfast , which is a domestic flight, is it possible to seek out purposely seek out the immigration officers at the international terminals and ask them that we need a code 1a ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:It is possible to apply for a residence card without having first obtained a family permit.
If we arrive at London Gatwick on a flight from Belfast , which is a domestic flight, is it possible to seek out purposely seek out the immigration officers at the international terminals and ask them that we need a code 1a ?
Possible - yes but probably not very easy. You don't really need the Code 1A (or the EEA FP) as stated above.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:38 pm

[quote="Jambo"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="EUsmileWEallsmile"]It is possible to apply for a residence card without having first obtained a family permit.[/quote]

If we arrive at London Gatwick on a flight from Belfast , which is a domestic flight, is it possible to seek out purposely seek out the immigration officers at the international terminals and ask them that we need a code 1a ?[/quote]
Possible - yes but probably not very easy. You don't really need the Code 1A (or the EEA FP) as stated above.[/quote]

Thanks Jambo .
The reason i am looking for the code 1a is so i can register with a GP and also apply for a National Insurance Number , before sending my passport off with the EEA2 Application. I reckon GPs will like to see a visa in your passport before they register you (even though i hear GPs shouldnt really be concerned weather you have a valid visa or not.) Also, we'll need to apply for benefit while we look for a job , and i read that National insurance number of both parties in a couple is needed for the application to proceed .

Are the above true or am i just worrying myself for nothing ?