ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKBA reply over UK master degree for English language

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Universal soldier
BANNED

UKBA reply over UK master degree for English language

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 pm

My email:
Dear Sir/madam,

I just want to know that if a person who has achieved his Master degree from Great Britain then would that be sufficient to meet the new requirement of english language for Indefinite application introduced on 28th October 2013. In that case either attaching the degree/transcript will be sufficient or still need the Naric report demonstrating its comparability to UK bachelor.
regards.

UKBA email:

Dear Mr ......... ,

Thank you for your email dated 20th September 2013. Your enquiry has been forwarded to Home Office Public Enquiries because it is not a policy enquiry.

Please be advised that those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK .

Yours sincerely,

Mo Martins
UK Visa & Immigration

NOTE: please do not lock this thread with the message "Please continue to your thread.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 pm

That has told us nothing new. You do not need to prove a UK degree was taught in English. However, it must be NARIC comparable.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 pm

All threads/topics here are not only for one single person rather for a vast majority of board community regardless of their knowledge in advance or not. I got this fully valid reply so I want to share it with entire board.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm

I did not mean to appear brash, I just meant that the email does not clarify things any further i.e. whether the PBS calculator print out would be acceptable as opposed to a NARIC statement of comparability. If you could reply asking that, I think that would be most helpful for the forum members.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: UKBA reply over UK master degree for English language

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Universal soldier wrote:
Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement

The degree's TRANSCRIPT always pacifically mention that the degree has been taught in English and the research (Research methods/proposal and dissertation/thesis etc.) have been conducted in English. Degree earned from England/wales/Scotland universities will never need any interpretation/comparability in contrary to qualifications from overseas university.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Moreover, for a generic comparability over foreign qualifications to UK level, the UK department of education has formulated the table as under:
http://www.education.gov.uk/ta-assets/~ ... arison.pdf
REGARDS

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm

sheraz7, you statement is contradicted by the new rules:
Page 60 wrote:iii) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification(not a professional
or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK
, from an educational establishment in one of the following
countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados;
Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand;
St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad
and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents;
That leads one to believe that NARIC must still confirm that the degree from the UK is comparable. I agree that seems pointless, but the rule is there.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:06 pm

sheraz7 wrote: generic comparability
REGARDS

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm

To support visa/application the NARIC will definitely be involved but only for overseas qualification but certainly not for UK based degree because a UK bachelor will be called bachelor and master will be called master without any further need of interpretation/comparison. The above mentioned table is solely to determine the level of degree achieved from overseas but still Naric report will be needed only to support the application.
REGARDS

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:14 pm

D4109125 wrote: whether the PBS calculator print out would be acceptable as opposed to a NARIC statement of comparability. If you could reply asking that, I think that would be most helpful for the forum members.
I have sent them email asking the same question.Once I receive the reply I will post it in the forum(hopefully in a week!!!)

Param

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

All those in that Chapter are English speaking countries where Bachelor will be Bachelor and Masters will be Masters.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 pm

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/NARIC/Individua ... ility.aspx

Statement of Comparability

How can we help you?

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award. It is used by universities, colleges, employers and Government departments and agencies forming part of their decision-making process. A Statement of Comparability can be used to help support applications made under Tiers 1 and 2 of the Points Based System for immigration to the UK.

A Statement of Comparability states, in English, what your overseas qualifications equate to in the UK

Please note that at UK NARIC we are unable to provide a comparability statement for the grades obtained in your qualifications. It is recommended that you present transcripts directly to potential employers/admitting institutions for consideration on an individual basis in line with specific grade requirements.

Example of a Statement of Comparability.

How to apply

We require the following in order to process your enquiry:

a photocopy of your certificate(s) together with final transcript(s) in the original language
a covering letter with your contact details and stating the purpose of your enquiry
a photocopy of a certified translation in English if necessary
payment for the service (see details below)
there is no need to send us a self-addressed envelope; a postage option is provided within the check-out process.
All documentation should be sent to us by post or fax. If you have completed our online application form, please include a copy of this form with your documents.

Please send your application by post to:

UK NARIC
Oriel House
Oriel Road
Cheltenham
GL50 1XP
UK

Or by fax to:

+44 (0)871 330 7005

UK NARIC is unable to accept documentation sent by e-mail.

How long does it take?

The turnaround time for the Statement of Comparability is 15 working days from the date of receipt of all required documentation and payment. Please note that this timeframe does not include delivery time and cannot be guaranteed. In some cases, such as those requiring additional research, the process may take longer and the applicant will be informed.

How much does it cost?

The cost of the service is £46.00 + VAT* (£55.20) per application.

If you are applying from an address outside of the EU, you are not required to pay VAT.

To find out more about the payment options that are available please visit the payment options section of our site.

*VAT is payable within the EU
Last edited by sheraz7 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REGARDS

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm not disputing that, you really don't need to make your text red and large, I am merely stating what the rules say.

arpit.tayal

Post by arpit.tayal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 am

params0073 wrote:
D4109125 wrote: whether the PBS calculator print out would be acceptable as opposed to a NARIC statement of comparability. If you could reply asking that, I think that would be most helpful for the forum members.
I have sent them email asking the same question.Once I receive the reply I will post it in the forum(hopefully in a week!!!)

Param
What is the e-mail address to send such queries?

Cheers!

arpit.tayal

Re: UKBA reply over UK master degree for English language

Post by arpit.tayal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 am

Universal soldier wrote:My email:
Dear Sir/madam,

I just want to know that if a person who has achieved his Master degree from Great Britain then would that be sufficient to meet the new requirement of english language for Indefinite application introduced on 28th October 2013. In that case either attaching the degree/transcript will be sufficient or still need the Naric report demonstrating its comparability to UK bachelor.
regards.

UKBA email:

Dear Mr ......... ,

Thank you for your email dated 20th September 2013. Your enquiry has been forwarded to Home Office Public Enquiries because it is not a policy enquiry.

Please be advised that those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK .

Yours sincerely,

Mo Martins
UK Visa & Immigration

NOTE: please do not lock this thread with the message "Please continue to your thread.
What is the e-mail address to send such queries?

Cheers!

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:05 pm

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm

So, if I have, say, a master's degree from Cambridge University, I still have to prove to UKBA that it is equivalent to having a UK's master's degree?

This is beyond stupidity.

am1234

Post by am1234 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm

My situation is the same I have masters degree from UK. One thing I do not understand is that, ifI have previously satisfied english language requirement in Initial Tier1 application, now why do I need to do it again?

I can understand if my degree was overseas degree where the statement of comparibility from UKNARIC would be needed for confirmation.

Gurus kindly clarify this situation please as i am getting confused.
I have also sent an emailto UKBA! hope they will reply me ASAP.

Thanks in advance

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:09 pm

If you satisfied an English Language requirement for entry clearance that should suffice.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:36 pm

me too had sent same email in reply about NARIC report to same ukba authorities yesterday. today whole day i checked but no reply but i hope maybe tomorrow or after tomorrow they reply. Kindly anyone of us get reply share here for others knowledge. The only brain moving question that why UK degree holders spend £55 for this report.
I hope we get good reply. :)

alamfo
Newly Registered

Post by alamfo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm

People,

To help you avoid making an application for Statement of Comparability and save you £55, I called up the NARIC office (no: 0871 330 7033) and asked them whether they provide "Statement of Comparability" or "English Language Assessment" for qualifications obtained from the UK (I have a masters degree from the UK).

The answer was "NO, we only provide these for international qualifications."

So given that we cannot get this from NARIC, I assume it is not expected from us to supply it as part of the application supporting docs. I think a degree certificate should be sufficient.

You guys can call them and ask for double confirmation.

Regards,
alamfo

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:35 pm

sheraz7 wrote:http://www.ecctis.co.uk/NARIC/Individua ... ility.aspx

Statement of Comparability

How can we help you?

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award. It is used by universities, colleges, employers and Government departments and agencies forming part of their decision-making process. A Statement of Comparability can be used to help support applications made under Tiers 1 and 2 of the Points Based System for immigration to the UK.

A Statement of Comparability states, in English, what your overseas qualifications equate to in the UK

Please note that at UK NARIC we are unable to provide a comparability statement for the grades obtained in your qualifications. It is recommended that you present transcripts directly to potential employers/admitting institutions for consideration on an individual basis in line with specific grade requirements.

Example of a Statement of Comparability.

How to apply

We require the following in order to process your enquiry:

a photocopy of your certificate(s) together with final transcript(s) in the original language
a covering letter with your contact details and stating the purpose of your enquiry
a photocopy of a certified translation in English if necessary
payment for the service (see details below)
there is no need to send us a self-addressed envelope; a postage option is provided within the check-out process.
All documentation should be sent to us by post or fax. If you have completed our online application form, please include a copy of this form with your documents.

Please send your application by post to:

UK NARIC
Oriel House
Oriel Road
Cheltenham
GL50 1XP
UK

Or by fax to:

+44 (0)871 330 7005

UK NARIC is unable to accept documentation sent by e-mail.

How long does it take?

The turnaround time for the Statement of Comparability is 15 working days from the date of receipt of all required documentation and payment. Please note that this timeframe does not include delivery time and cannot be guaranteed. In some cases, such as those requiring additional research, the process may take longer and the applicant will be informed.

How much does it cost?

The cost of the service is £46.00 + VAT* (£55.20) per application.

If you are applying from an address outside of the EU, you are not required to pay VAT.

To find out more about the payment options that are available please visit the payment options section of our site.

*VAT is payable within the EU
REGARDS

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am

Guys I think UK degree holders do not need any Naric report because NARIC has answered me at below:

Dear ................,

Thank you for your email.

UK NARIC is the National Agency responsible for providing information and advice about vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from all over the world. We provide information about the equivalency of qualifications and skills from overseas to the UK's national qualifications frameworks.

Here at UK NARIC we are only able to vouch for the standing of awarding bodies provided they have accreditation / recognition by the relevant authorities in the country of origin. With regard to UK academic qualifications, UK NARIC can comment on postgraduate diplomas / certificates awarded by UK listed bodies only. Any other qualifications, provided they are referenced against the National Qualifications Framework, should be automatically recognised in the UK.

Kind regards,

UK NARIC
t: +44 (0)871 330 7033
f: +44 (0)871 330 7005
//: www.naric.org.uk
Oriel House, Oriel Road, Cheltenham, GL50 1XP

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:36 pm

After this huge valuable discussion about this topic then what you guys think that is it a writing and explaining mistake in ukba's english language guideline about NARIC report for uk degree holders.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:46 pm

The rules clearly state that a UK degree should be deemed by NARIC so yes, perhaps you could email the UKBA and ask them to clarify the rules and make changes where necessary.